Did I Do The Correct Thing?

wilsonator

Baseband Member
I was on my computer the other day talking to my friend on msn and surfing the web, and then suddenly things started changing, it was only little things like the order of icons and programs on the start menu, also my homepage had been changed. Then microsoft antispyware started sliding up saying do you authorize a change to your ie setting, I clicked reject but I kept on sliding up.

Anyway, after a couple of minutes of this I pulled the plug, literally. At that moment I thought I was eing hacked but then when I rebooted it carried on as before. It wasn't letting me open Microsoft Antispyware so I went onto system restore and restored my computer to the state it was in the day before. I then ran a spyware scan and it found the follwing 2 things:

eXact.Downloader
Type: Trojan Downloader
Threat Level: High
Author: eXact Advertising LLC.

Description: eXact Downloader is a Trojan used by eXact Bargain Buddy and Cash Back to download and install additional components.

Advice: High-risk items have a large potential for adverse effect, such as loss of computer control, and should be removed unless knowingly installed.

About Trojan Downloader: A Trojan that silently installs other programs without consent.

and:

IBIS Toolbar
Type: Adware
Threat Level: High

Description: IBIS Toolbar is an Internet Explorer search redirector.

Advice: High-risk items have a large potential for adverse effect, such as loss of computer control, and should be removed unless knowingly installed.

About Adware: In general, adware is software that displays advertisements, and may be beneficial by subsidizing a program or service. However, certain adware programs may lack authorization, such as installing without prominent notice or showing ads without clear attribution to their source.

So I removeed them.

Anyway, my question is did I do the correct thing in performing a system restore?

BTW, I have Microsoft Antispyware BETA!, regularily updated and Norton AntiVirus 2003, which was fully up to date at the time as I had just run a live updated.

Sounds like you did the right thing. System restore has saved me many times.

You might want to look into why Norton did not catch this trojan.

If you believe that you are being hacked it is normally best to pull the network cable first IMO. That will prevent people from accessing your computer, and prevent any worm from spreading. Some viruses and other things require a reboot to do certain things (like when you need to reboot when you install software). When this happens to me I only pull the plug if I feel that any of the data on my computer is in immediate danger (if I see stuff being deleted).

System restore is amazing, with that and a couple rescue CDs you can solve any problem.

Back
Top Bottom