Did anybody here grow up watching Carl Sagan's cosmos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1thotyn

Baseband Member
I loved that! I sometimes wonder if I would have turned out to be a alcoholic wife beater with fixed fantasies about life and existence had I not have watched all thirteen of those episodes when I was growing up.

"Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces. " - Carl Sagan

I really miss that guy.

Science began as man trying to understand the workings of God. Makes you wonder where it went awry...

Carl Sagan was a brilliant man, but his own beliefs were a little off in my eyes.

Let's keep the conversation focused on Sagan and not religion, though. Otherwise, this won't last long.

Ah yes, sorry about that. I didn't realize what I had quoted of his tied into my mention of fixed fantasies. My intention was really to see if anyone else had grown up watching that program. Again, my apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom