Diabetics get 'Intel Inside'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Diabetics get 'Intel Inside'

Computerised sensors are to be used to monitor the health of patients in a UK trial due to begin by Christmas. The devices, powered by Pentium processors and invented by boffins at Scientists at Imperial College London, can measure changes in an individual's condition and send the data to doctors using a Bluetooth connection and a mobile phone link.

The Sunday Times reports that the sensors will initially be implanted in diabetics in trials at St MaryÂ’s hospital, London due to begin at the end of the year. SMS messages would be sent to medical staff if a patient's blood-sugar level drops below a certain minimum. That does for a warning but what if a diabetic needs urgent medical attention?

Chris Toumazou, director of the Institute of Biomedical Engineering at Imperial, said that the sensor might eventually be linked with an insulin pump controlled by a doctor. Doctors hope the technology will also allow patients with other chronic diseases, such as heart and respiratory diseases, to lead near-normal lives. The technology could be adapted to monitor other changes in a patient's blood to look for signs of these diseases, potentially freeing up NHS resources. The Imperial team has also developed sensors that sit on a patient's skin to detect ailments like high blood pressure, hypothermia or motion.

Oracle is sponsoring the development of the kit which could even be developed into a "complete body sensor that could be implanted into normally healthy people to pick up early signs of disease," the Sunday Times reports. That's if the implants themselves don't cause disease, of course.

I want my fingers to be able to break apart like in the first ghost in the shell movie and one of the 2nd season episodes........if I can type 100wpm now ........then imagine if my hands were cyberized, could split each finger into 2 or 3 more typing 'fingers' .........mmmm......400wpm would be easy :D

LOL then you would need to run dual processors with 4gb dual channel ram to keep up with the input LOL

Nubius said:
I want my fingers to be able to break apart like in the first ghost in the shell movie and one of the 2nd season episodes........if I can type 100wpm now ........then imagine if my hands were cyberized, could split each finger into 2 or 3 more typing 'fingers' .........mmmm......400wpm would be easy :D

It's the brain not the fingers that are slow in most of the cases

Anyways the patients should have gone AMD :p

It's the brain not the fingers that are slow in most of the cases
psht, perhaps YOUR brain is slow :p

Anywho, cyberbrains are practically manditory in ghost in the shell....duh thought everyone knew that :D Cyberbrain + fingers that bust out into more fingers = massive forum whoring and downloading :p

but yeah I'd need a helluva fast computer to keep up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom