Determining Computer System Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnselk

Baseband Member
I'm considering an upgrade from Adobe Premiere Elements (APE) 1.0 to version 2.0. Below are the System Requirements for APE 2.0. I got these directly from Adobe.com

Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 "System Requirements:

Intel® Pentium® 4, M, D, or Extreme Edition or AMD Opteron or Athlon 64 (SSE2 support required)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Home Edition, or Media Center Edition with Service Pack 2
256MB of RAM
4GB of available hard-disk space
DVD-ROM drive (compatible DVD burner required to burn DVDs)
1,024x768 16-bit XGA display
Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible sound and display drivers
DV/i.LINK/FireWire/IEEE 1394 interface to connect a Digital 8 or DV camcorder, or a USB2 interface to connect a DV-via-USB-compatible DV camcorder (other video devices supported via the Media Downloader)

I understand most of the requirements, but the two requirements that deal with my sound and display have me lost. They are: "16-bit XGA display" and "MS DirectX 9 compatible sound and display drivers".

I simply don't know how to determine if my computer meets these two requirements. Could someone please tell me how I would know this?

1. Type "dxdiag" into the Run dialog box (Start -> Run).

2. Look for "DirectX version", at the bottom of the dialog box.
Just make sure you have a display/sound card that's capable of DirectX. Most new ones are.

talldude123 said:
Look for "DirectX version" at the bottom of the dialog box.
Just make sure you have a display/sound card that's capable of DirectX. Most new ones are.

It says DirectX 9.0c

How do I make sure I have a display/sound card that capable of DirectX? My display card is an old nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 model 64(HP). It came in the computer I bought in Oct. 2001. I ran a test and it played both the stereo and mono 16-bit 22khz sounds, from a sound buffer. And it said "All tests were sucessful".

After I ran the above tests, a window popped up and said "Your sound card does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only play back with software buffers".

My sound card is a "SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio".
I suppose I could replace it with a better one. Do you think I need to?

That video card is not quite ready for video editing...

I think your money is severely misplaced - spend the cash on a decent video card and sound card before spending the money on Premire 2. Premire 1 will hold you for a while, but that hardware simply won't. Not doing video editing...

When your hardware's in check, THEN drop the cash on the program.

Eagleboy said:
That video card is not quite ready for video editing...

I think your money is severely misplaced - spend the cash on a decent video card and sound card before spending the money on Premire 2. Premire 1 will hold you for a while, but that hardware simply won't. Not doing video editing...

When your hardware's in check, THEN drop the cash on the program.

agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom