Destroyed CD Drive

G9

Daemon Poster
Alright, I have two optical drives on my computer. One plays DVDs and burns DVDs/CDs. My second optical drive only plays CDs and burns CDs faster than the other drive. However the second optical drive, after much usage when backing up all my CDs, blew. It can open and close, but I think it can't read. Whenever I stick in a CD, a little popup box appears reading "Scanning Drives" and the drive disappears from My Computer. How can I resovle this issue?

First thing i would check would be all my cables, and make sure it is in there secure. Then try to reinstall the drivers, and make sure it is enabled not only in windows, but in the BIOS also, because there is only a few resons it would disapear. And even though the drive opens and closes doesnt mean it works or that the ribbon cable is connected. As long as it has power it will open/close. Check that stuff out and you may find the answer.

BTW its been a while. Hello CF Members.. Long time no see.

I'm pretty sure a cable didn't get pulled... it's time for the drivers. Where would I get them? And how would I install them for the BIOS.

BIOS/Drivers are 2 different things. If you are not very familiar with the BIOS its probably not that. I would still double check the cables, you just might find it, just to be safe. The drivers, you would need to find out what kind of CD drive it is, then go to the makers website, and find your model drive, and download the drivers assuming they have them.

It's an ATAPI LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239S. I guess I should check the Lite-On site.

EDIT: I can't find it!

Back
Top Bottom