Desperately seeking a job. Any ideas?

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Hey, guys.

I have struck bad times as far as finances go. Me and my mother are living with pretty much no source of income. She CAN NOT work due to a disability, so she has applied for Social Security Disability twice, to only be turned down. We are currently working on an appeal. I'll go ahead and give specifics. We get $557 a month from survivor benefits from where my dad was on disability before he died of lung cancer. $400 of this goes towards rent. The rest towards our water bill pretty much. Then what? Luckily we get food stamps...

Here is where I come in. But I don't know what the f*ck to do. I have applied at EVERY SINGLE PLACE. I have heard nothing. I have even made a follow up call to several of the places. What do I do now? I don't care where I work as long as it gives me a source of income. I can work any time now, as I have graduated high school. I am not 18 yet *I will be in one month however* .. I CAN NOT WAIT ONE MONTH. I CAN'T DO IT, WE HAVE NO MONEY, DON'T SAY I CAN WAIT!

What the hell do I do. I have just written up a resume that I am going to post everywhere I get a chance.. That is if i can get my freakin printer to work....

Start off with eliminating the non-essentials. TV, Internet, etc.

go to your local chamber of commerce. They will know who is hiring.

yeah, finding a job is not easy.
But I found out that after you submitted the application, keep calling them. Pretty much dont stop until they told you to stop calling. Maybe sometimes try to meet the manager of the place and talk to him/her.
Ask friends or family to ask their boss to consider hiring you.

SSI will give you the royal run around for as long as they feel like it. Check with legal aid and see if one of them can handle the case pro bono. They have to do pro bono work from time to time to keep thier license.

My mom considers TV an essential because she says its the only thing to keep her busy and from going crazy.. I don't know... Internet is bundled with cable, so not much of a loss there.

One of the primary places I have applied is the local Wal Mart. I have applied 10 times. I have spoken to two of the managers, including the head manager. I have even been interviewed by him for a mock interview at school, and when I mentioned my interest in working at Wal Mart, he said he would bump my application to the top of the list. Not sure how that worked out....

I honestly think my mom's lawyer has no clue what she is doing. It has been a few months, and she hasn't heard anything from SSI. Her lawyer is only taking 1/3rd of the settlement if we get it... Not when.. If. In other words, if we lose the appeal, we owe her nothing.

Well do what i did when i was looking for a job look on local free ads sites and in the local news papers i ended up with a job albeit a rubbish one
TV is not a necessity.

Whilst i agree that TV is not a necessity i fail to see how your post is helping in anyway

Summer is coming up...start mowing as many yards as you can while you can't get a job. Sounds like not much, but my friend made over $5000 last June/July by mowing alone.

Whilst i agree that TV is not a necessity i fail to see how your post is helping in anyway

trying to tell someone who has no money that cable tv is not a necessity and them getting it shut off and having that bit more money would be no help? I don't know what cable and internet costs over there but here it costs an arm and a leg and getting it turned off would give quite a bit more money in the kick. The post was directed at the op not at you leave it to him to decide if it is a help or not...if you don't like the post either skip over it or if it breaks rules report it....that's the advice I have seen you give many times.

Anyway as far as jobs go Flightsimboy...maybe you can do some volunteer work while you are looking. Gets you some experience and will look good on a resume.

Why not just get your local stations. They have some good programs and it doesn't cost anything as far as I know.

And yeah, if you can, eliminate internet. Or at least have a phone line connection. Go down to the lowest possible phone service like local only (if you have phone service that is).

I know it sounds like the worst thing, but selling your computer in your sig? Then budget up the money from that to work for you over the next months until you can get job? I don't know if that's doable for a gamer, but just a thought. You can then use the computers at the library when needed.

Also, if you and your mom have a car, try selling that and ride a bike where you need to go.

I hope you can find something SOON.

Back
Top Bottom