desktop wont read the DVD drive... [help plz]

hobby_guy

Baseband Member
Hi I had this dvd on a HP and throw it away but I took the dvd and put it on the Dell but it doesn't want to read it I put the jumper to CS, JP, and MT but none work and I don't have a cd to program it and I don't see a brand name on it. So just want to know if I'm screw or can I get it to work. Thanks in advance. :)

Ok. So you took a CD out of an hold HP computer and you're sticking it in a Dell but it does not work.

Did the CD work on the HP computer that you are aware of?
Turn the CD over. Do you see any scratches?
When you put the CD in, can you hear the CD drive spinning the CD?
Do you have another CD you can try in that CD drive?
Look in Disk Management (right click My Computer and go to Manage - at the bottom left of that window there is Disk Management)
Look for your CD drive. Click on it and look at the bottom, does it say "online"? What format is there when you put the CD in, RAW or NTFS?
Lastly, is there a name or any giberish there that the CD may be named?

Good luck!

-Q

Ok. So you took a CD out of an hold HP computer and you're sticking it in a Dell but it does not work.

Did the CD work on the HP computer that you are aware of?
Turn the CD over. Do you see any scratches?
When you put the CD in, can you hear the CD drive spinning the CD?
Do you have another CD you can try in that CD drive?
Look in Disk Management (right click My Computer and go to Manage - at the bottom left of that window there is Disk Management)
Look for your CD drive. Click on it and look at the bottom, does it say "online"? What format is there when you put the CD in, RAW or NTFS?
Lastly, is there a name or any giberish there that the CD may be named?

Good luck!

-Q

yes it does sound like is turning when I put a DVD in and the DVD is not scratch nothing appears in the Manage-Disk Management, just my two hard drives and on the name is just the info but it doesnt look like it has a logo or a brand name or I just cant tell what it is, and I dont know if it make a differents but is not a CD drive is a DVD Rom or drive. Thanks for your help Captain Pooka.

Yes, a DVD drive can read a CD. If your DVD drive is not in disk management, then open up your computer and make sure the SATA or IDE connections are connected correctly. If they look like they are, then disconnect them and reconnect them - both at the CD drive and at the Motherboard.

Also, look in My Computer, is your DVD drive listed there?

-Q

Yes there are connect it to DVD Rom and mother board and is not shown in My Computer and it only shows the two hard drives and the floppy disk. And the original cd drive still works when I connect it.

Just to confirm:

You just told me that your DVD drive does not show up in disk management or My Computer after reseating the cables. You also said another CD drive works when connected to the same ports on the motherboard.

Last resort: Did you use the same SATA cable to connect the CD drive and the DVD drive? I want to make sure the cable is not bad. If you used a different one to connect each drive, take the cable that works when you use it with the CD drive and plug it in the DVD drive. Again, I just want to test the cable to see if it's bad.

You can check in one more location to see if the DVD drive is recognized, the BIOS. It'll be listed next to your HDD.

If you DID use the same cable and you have checked in the BIOS and it's not there, the DVD drive is bad. Try putting the DVD drive in another computer to test it one more time.

Good luck

-Q

Back
Top Bottom