Desktop Vs Laptop Performance

I know for a fact you wouldn't notice a difference, unless you do music or video editing and timed the rendering but to be honest you wouldn't see much of a difference.

It's for this exact reason I rarely ever recommend people an i7 it's very rare that you'll actually see the difference in performance.

Same question, what are the actual physical difffrences then? Are they the same chip, i.e Ix laptop prossor and a Ix desktop prosessor are they the same chip i.e size and spec just been throttled down with lower power requirments or are they diffrent chips entierly and hence never going to be as powerfull??

I take it they are actual diffrent as they are the mobile version of the chip?

I haven't cracked open a laptop in to replace the motherboard and/or the CPU in a little over two years, but back then they were different sizes yes. The mobile chips were smaller which meant they heat up faster and thus have/had to run slower to account for the extra heat. Not sure how true this is today though.

A desktop cpu would be better, the power and heat are reduced in laptops, that's because cpus are clocked down in laptops.

I agree. Whereas even the CPU might be the exact same. The heating/cooling in a laptop is so much worse/different, that it will bring the performance down to the point where you will see a difference. But then again, if you have an external laptop cooler, it will help and desktop will still be a bit better, but not that much.

@Jmac the i5, well all I can say is a CPU XD ( way to tell the obvious :p ). But I can say the difference between i5, and i7, DON'T BUY THE i7 if you care for value over performance. Here's why. The i7 Quad is better then the i5 Quad. But the performance differences you see are not largely different. The price however, is very different. in this sense, the i7 is a ripoff, at around $350 for a good one, whilest for a good i5 you can still get away with $150. So the i5 on the side of value over performance, is better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom