Desktop Icons Not Showing Upon Bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

unegoono

Beta member
I hope this is the right place for this kind of post...

My computer boots up and the desktop shows up the icons appear for a moment then they disappear, also it seems to take way longer then it did before to launch anything. The computer itself starts around the same 52 seconds, however it use to take 29 seconds from when my computer got to the desktop to open Firefox, now it takes a good minute and a half.

I can force the icons to show up by going to the desktop>right click>view>uncheck "Show Desktop Icons>Then rechecking "Show Desktop Icons". However as soon as I reboot it goes back to the same. I ran some virus scans, a registry cleaner, Spyware remover and even some Malware tools. I even booted into safe mode (which does not suffer the same problem) and ran all my tools again, then rebooted normally and the problem is still there. Any thoughts on this one?

it is a new Asus G50Vt-X5 laptop, about a month or two old. With Windows Vista Home Premium, 4gigs of Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS video card and a Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile @ 2.13GHz.

Also talking about the Processor, I went to install World of Warcraft, the same day my above problem started acting up, a game I had installed 4-5 other times with zero problems yet all of the sudden I am being told that my laptop does not have the required amount of CPU to run the game, when clearly it has more then what is needed.

Download CCleaner, check which programs are starting automatically. Make sure only the programs you need are starting on bootup.

CCleaner from Filehippo

May as well also run the registry cleaner included with ccleaner as well.
Try this for a new fix too:
Start your pc
After startup, press and hold Control, Shift, and Escape
Find and kill the process called 'explorer.exe'
then add explorer.exe again (use the file menu)

I tried both of those. I have already disabled everything but my Virus and Spyware programs with Msconfig.

I also ran the registry cleaner that seemed to fix the problems that glary couldn't.

Also I tried the explorer trick, it does show my desktop, but as soon as I reboot the desktop vanishes like it did exactly before.

I even booted into safe mode (which does not suffer the same problem) and ran all my tools again, then rebooted normally and the problem is still there. Any thoughts on this one?

I would look at a corrupted profile or a bad driver. Those are the only 2 things that could affect your system to the point where it works in Safe Mode but not in regular mode.

I am 90% sure my problem lies in explorer.exe

If I start my task manager up first thing when my computer comes on and I shut off the explorer.exe process and then turn it back on everything works fine.

Also this morning when I went to get on my computer locked up as soon as it booted up and a error code poped up saying "Windows Explorer has stopped responding, what do you want to do?" I told it to restart the process and guess what. Desktop shows up and Firefox launched instantly.

So I am heavily leaning towards explorer being bad. So now I need to figure out how to fix that. Any things or knowledge on fixing explorer let me know :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom