Desk, what to do?

*Jumping thread*

OK, now that I have actual money, I can afford a stand as overlord posted. I plan to get the Quad stand. I got another monitor from a friend, a 19".

Just one problem. My desk is hollow, on all three sides. Good job, IKEA. Will the combined weight of 4 monitors harm it at all? As in warping the wood? Or do I just need to build some reinforcement?

They said in the description:

Please make sure you are mounting this arm to a solid desktop surface that will be able to withstand the combined weight of the stand and monitors. Make sure your desktop is not hollow.

I would go to the lumber yard and get a couple nice pieces of solid wood to reinforce it. My ikea desk is solid but I do know that the hollow ones are still pretty strong. I would get a piece or two and mount one on top and one on bottom and screw them together. Then get little longer bolts for the mount (if you plan to bolt it down) and bolt to both pieces. You should be okay. The goal is to distribute the weight through a larger area. The whole walking on eggs without breaking them thing.

What wood are you talking? I know we have a ton of pinewood. One other kind I can't think of.

Yes eggs, only balancing on your nose, in this case. :p

I'll see what I can come up with. I know we have several bolts. I'm sure we have ones long enough. I know we have some 3" bolts left over from an earlier project.

The top of the desk is only 1.25" deep. So there's not really a lot of desk to mount it to.

That is a sexy stand, gonna have to grab me one of those and some vesa compliant monitors, my Acer doesn't have the vesa crap on the back, but my cheaper dell monitor does xD

Nutta update.

I received my stand today, from UPS. The box looked like crap. One big hole in it. Even the boxes inside the boxes were a little beaten. But I can understand why. That thing was d*** heavy, like 15-20 pounds. And it is heavier on one side than the other. So yeah, it got banged around a lot. Once I go her open, though, there was no apparent abuse to the metal vertical stand and the 2 x 2 arms.

D****! This thing is heavy. Like I said, 15-20 pounds. Both the vertical stand and arms are like a hunk of metal. It's not solid metal, but it is quite solid. Like a grade under cast iron.

I'll wait for my Dad before I set it up. It's a two person job. And my Mom isn't great with hardware. :lol: It'll probably have to wait till the weekend, as he works 2nd shift, and he might be called in, and this might take awhile to assemble.

But, all in all, for $70? Where can you go wrong? All the reviews are pointing towards win. If anybody is looking into this as well: Amazon.com: Quad LCD Monitor stand Fully adjustable New: Electronics

(There ya go, Corrosive)

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

Looking groovy? :p

Well, the Dell (upper left) and the Samsung (lower right) are both 20". Just one is widescreen while the other is not.

Back
Top Bottom