Designing a cloud server

StrahlyPOP

Beta member
I was wondering if anyone could help wit designing a cloud server. I want to make t public for family and friends across the state, etc. I have lots of storage space and I know some people who can use it. I am pretty familiar with webdesign... just need to know about servers and how to allow them to connect to their allotted space on my hard drive. I have a raid 0 set up. I want to password protect the space so the member can access only. And have admin rights. Any software that helps or other ideas?

Thanks in advance

you might wanna send username Jayce a private message about this. from what ive read hes got a backup system running on linux for his friends n family.

raid 0 is usually not recommended for this. if one hd dies, you lose all the data. you plan on keeping backups right? you offer someone free storage space, the server craps out, and then you have to explain to them what happened and how long it will take to restore the data ... or worse, ask them if they keep backup copies.

a couple links i found for this

Backblaze Blog » Petabytes on a budget: How to build cheap cloud storage

DIY Dropbox alternatives | ITworld

Roll Your Own Secure Cloud Storage with SSHFS - Secure Shell... - Hak5

Thanks for the reply. I will check those links out right now. And the raid 0 was just for the time being. I know I need to back up the files. Raid 0 was just what I set it to when I installed the raid box.

Thanks again.

At the very least a web server should be running in RAID 1, though RAID 5 should be your only choice.

As for setting the server up, look into CentOS for your OS and you can always install Plesk or cPanel to make your life much easier. Server management from a very low level is such a breeze with tools like that.

Back
Top Bottom