Dell upgrade for kicks

tallenskinny

Solid State Member
SPECs HERE
Ok well i want to upgrade a dell
its a dell dimension 8250,
ive alrdy researched the memory and i still confused?
can this system only hold 2gb of ram? if so 4 512's? right
of rdram, and ebay averages them at around 40$ for a 512 ouch...

then video card
can anyone suggest a compatible card this is able to play world of warcraft?

and if any of you have any suggestions on how i can better (besides get a new one) this computer let me know

Well if you have the computer with the 400mHz FSB, then yes, four sticks with 512mb's...However I'm seeing something strange here and I am going to research it real quick.

For the video card, though, you can look here and look for one that fits your price range.

None of them are too flashy, but they all aren't bad. It's really whatever your budget allows.

Edit
----
The ram you can upgrade to all depends on your bus speed. If you are running pc1066, you can only have a max of 1.5 between the four slots.

However

If you are running pc800, you can have up to 2GB.

Here's what you should do. Go to cpuid and download CPU-Z (download link located in the top left corner of the page.) Run that program, and select the "memory tab" (or SPD I think it's called) and you should see a value somewhere in there that says pc****(or pc***), the stars obviously being numbers. Get back when you figure out what speed your RAM is.

ok ill try that, i prob wont get the results till tmr night because the 8250, does have computer screen lol, so ill get those results to you tmr

thanks for the help

and would upgrading the cpu be possible?

maybe this from ebay

For the video card, though, you can look here and look for one that fits your price range.

None of them are too flashy, but they all aren't bad. It's really whatever your budget allows.

so you would recommend a pci over agp for this situation?

highest gaming would be WoW

For what you are going to pay to max out the ram on that system and buy a video card, you might as well build a new system....you are really throwing your money down the drain...

For what you are going to pay to max out the ram on that system and buy a video card, you might as well build a new system....you are really throwing your money down the drain...

your right fer sure... the memory alrdy exspensive

idk i just thought to make WoW run

better video card--60$
memory- 20$-100$ or more (found someone on criagslist)

cpu..its alrdy at 2.4 ghz...maybe it isnt necessary to upgrade it?

dnt wry tho im planning on building a comp from scratch next summer =)

You're probably better off just saving up a little more money and purchasing a new computer altogether.

You're going to be spending a good sum of money to upgrade your computer when you could just save a little more and get a computer that is more up to date. Remember that the older the components are, the more expensive they will probably be.

You're probably better off just saving up a little more money and purchasing a new computer altogether.

You're going to be spending a good sum of money to upgrade your computer when you could just save a little more and get a computer that is more up to date. Remember that the older the components are, the more expensive they will probably be.

ya your right...thx for the advice guys

Back
Top Bottom