Dell Now Offering AMD Desktops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell was losing money not too long ago, so they probably had to advertise AMD to get some money.

Plus they will be making $250 computers now that AMD Sempron's are so cheap.

Actually, for their base bargain-basement PC, it comes with a Sempron 3400, 512MB Ram, 80GB Hard drive for $399.

The upgrades are so cheap!

Athlon 64 3500 = $70
Athlon 64 3800 = $100

1GB memory = $50

I'm quite impressed :)

Here's what CRN had to say....

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=59725&eid=4&edate=20060914
Dell flips switch on AMD desktops

Dell has launched its first AMD based desktop systems, terminating its exclusive marriage with Intel.

The computer maker previously only sold systems powered by Intel processors, but on unveiled two new desktop models that are based on chips supplied by AMD.

The new Dimension E521 comes with an AMD Sempron, Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 X2 processor. The same options are available for the C521, which is a smaller form factor desktop system that's about half the size of the E521.

The new AMD systems are available immediately in the US. Prices start at $329 for the E521 and $359 for the C521.

The systems next week will start shipping in other parts of the world, according to vnunet.com's sister publication The Inquirer.

The computers are ranked as some of the cheapest models available. AMD is a strong player in the sub $500 segment.

Its Athlon 64 processor claims 46 per cent of the market segment, and its Sempron chip another 24 per cent, according to data from Current Analysis.

jorsoft03 said:
Quite true, Harper. Where I work there's about 7% markup on all of my desktops and laptops. It's pretty awful..
The other one that I love is this one from the loyal customer that wants to shop around....
CUSTOMER :- Last month, i ask you to give me a quote on a cheap computer. But just last week, I just got a fax from Dell offering me a computer with a Better Processor and Bigger Hard Drive.

They make it sound like it sound like I am trying to sodamise them over with my computer quote..... HELLO!!!! You asked for a cheap computer you, I quoted you one. :rolleyes:

well that does us no good considering AMD is behind in processing now that the core 2 duo's and quadro's are arriving i'll stick with intel.

True, if you want to spend hundreds of dollars on just the cpu alone Intel has a faster chip out. AMD will have their version out in a few months, it'll be faster and less expensive, and the cycle will continue as it always does....
Anyways, no one who buys Dell is looking for that kind of power. They sell mainly to cheap skates who want the $99 pc that they have on tv and to businesses who will lease them for 2-3 years at a time. You don't need the highest of the high end goods for that, that's not who Dell is geared towards.

HAVOC2k5 said:
lol Dell now offers AMD, just as Intel owns the market with their C2Ds.

Brilliant!

Lol, exactly. I was just talking to a friend about this. It was supposed to be a momentous occasion a while ago, Dell finally selling AMD processors and raising AMDs market share (which is nowhere near Intels, Jorsoft). But because of the dominance of the C2Ds in most of the market, it seems more of a dumb move now.

From a business POV though, Dell is just preparing for K8L to be released. It would appear that Dell is betting that K8L will actually compete with the Core 2 Duos (or whatever version is out by mid-07). They just want to there with an established AMD line when they come out, so they dont have to scramble at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom