Dell Latitude D510

PAUL III

Beta member
Hi,

I am Paul III and I am happy to be a new member of this group.

My Dell Latitude D510 Laptop will turn on and be fine for a few minutes, but then the screen will go nearly black. I can still barely see whatever app I was running still going, but it is so dark I can't see even where I am clicking.

Does this sound like bad Ram, over heated CPU, or something else I can't even guess at. I would appreciate your response.

Lol. I do have a MUCH newer Toshiba Satellite Laptop, and an older MacBook as well, but just beginning my studies to try to become Comptia A+ Certified, and dug out this old computer with problems to learn to work on them myself.

Again, any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for having me!

It sounds like the backlight is bad. Usually the only option is to replace the LCD screen in the laptop.

Some older laptops have a separate little board that connects in between the LCD and the motherboard called an inverter. It provides correct power output from the motherboard to the LCD's backlight. If your laptop has one of these you can try replacing that before replacing the whole screen.

if it's a newer model, it probably doesn't have one of those in which case the whole screen must be replaced.

Best of luck to you in your studies for the A+ and welcome to the forums. :)

Youtube is your best resource if you decide to give it a go at changing out the screen.

Back
Top Bottom