Dell Laptop Can't connect to ethernet or wifi- with a twist

jet-tech1

Beta member
Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a bit and found people here super helpful so I joined to see if you guys can help me with a problem that's got me stumped. I've taught myself tons when it comes to computers since I was a kid but internet issues are beyond me, and unfortunately... I got one. Actually... my folks who live in California have one and I, who live in Washington, am trying to help them.

I've been their tech support through Logmein for some time now, but the problem is now I can't help them because they lost their internet connection.

Here's the problem and background. My parents left town for a week and all was fine. They come back and their Dell Inspiron 15 3521 laptop with Windows 8 will no longer hook up to the internet. I believe I bought them a Netgear Wireless router last time I was there. They're using cable internet, from there to the wireless router and wifi to the laptop. They also have a Gateway desktop. The gateway desktop connects with no issues through an ethernet cable that hooks to the wifi router. This is what I've tried:

1) disconnect and reconnect to their wifi. The laptop finds a list of available connections, we choose theirs and connect. The laptop shows connected with full bars but we have no internet. That's just plain old weird to me and I can't find anything useful about that in a google search for days now.

2) I had them disconnect the working desktop, hook up the ethernet cable to the laptop. Laptop shows connected to the ethernet but again we have no internet. Pages cannot be resolved or something like that. Again, that's an oddity I can't find on a google search. Remember, this cable actually works on the desktop. I even had them try another ethernet cable from port 2 on the router. Same issue

3) Device manger shows no red X's or yellow triangle ! icons. On absolutely anything.

4) internet adapter shows current drivers installed

5) internet explorer 9 has caused me so many stinkin headaches I had them install firefox and that had the same issues.

6) using internet connection troubleshooter is absolutely useless and finds nothing wrong.

7) The computer is set to obtain an IP automatically.

8) Yes, we did try powering down the cable modem and wifi router... no help.

My parents are absolutely useless on computers. It's a nightmare just walking them through this stuff, and now it's even worse since I can't connect remotely. Plus they don't speak english so you can imagine them trying to read back to me what they see on the screen. We're now trying to run skype from the desktop and they point the camera to the screen so I can read... This is a nightmare and I'm gonna lose what's left of my hair on this. The computer is 1 year and 1 month old. Out of warranty. It has nothing weird installed in it but Kaspersky anti virus software and some freebie internet games from facebook that they like using. The anti virus says all is well. I usually clean it out every now and then from useless fluff. Other than a full restore to the date of purchase, has anyone any suggestions?

SOLVED!!!!!!!!

This stinkin' issue seems to be huge on the internet (google search) but it comes in different flavors... all a little different, but most times seems to show up on Win 7 and mostly on Win 8.

I tried a couple more things in case someone else out there has this issue and wants to try some more stuff first

9) tried running cmd.exe prompt in admin mode and used the "ipconfig /release" followed by the "ipconfig /renew" commands and that did nothing.

10) Verified that there were no proxy settings set up whatever the heck those are... remember... I'm not an internet guy... sorry.

11) Someone suggested in another site to turn IPv4 to manual and IPv6 to automatic... that did nothing

12) Also was suggested to turn off IPv6 and turn it back on to reset it... no clue what that would do but I tried it... it did nothing

THE FIX: The computer is fairly new... it had multiple crappy software preinstalled in it when purchased. My parents installed Kaspersky Internet Security... which I love by the way, and removed the junk expired McAfee. Guess what, McAfee doesn't like to be told no. It did not uninstall. It uninstalled partially and then kept some stuff running in the background... like the firewall. Kaspersky and McAfee both had a firewall up and even though both had been just fine for quite a while they decided to act up. I had to go to task manager and shut down both the hard way. Internet now works beautifully but without an anti virus.

Now I got a new problem... I can't get McAfee to uninstall... looks corrupted and will not let Kaspersky function right. I got to figure out how to get that stupid program out now little by little... cuz even task manager couldn't even get it to fully turn off. But I guess I'll post that one in another forum.

Good luck to everyone else out there with this frustrating issue.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I think what might of happened is I tried to use the uninstall function within windows before installing Kaspersky and that corrupted the McAfee program. Cuz ofcourse heaven forbid anyone might not want that piece of garbage. So why not make our lives more difficult for not only having it when we don't want it but the utter nerve of us trying to get rid of it.... geeesh. Hopefully it will work if it's corrupted. Anyway, thanks for the info and the help

Back
Top Bottom