Dell Dimension E510 upgrade

boggingaming

Solid State Member
I have a Dell Dimension E510 and I am trying to get a dual core processor. I heard that the Intel Pentium D can fit in my processor slot. I want to have a AMD processor. Is there any AMD processors that would work in a Dell Dimension E510? Or do I have to stay with Intel?

I have now seen somebody take a Dell Dimension E521 motherboard and put it in a Dell Dimension E510. I dont have that much money for a budget and replacing the motherboard with the E521 is a bit pricey.

You can't put a AMD CPU in that computer as long you are using that motherboard. Your system is very outdated. I'll not use any more money on it. changing the operation system for something lighter is properly your best option.
If you insist on spending some money in it, the best upgrade for old computers like yours are an SSD and/or RAM upgrade.

What are you mainly using the computer for?

Last edited:
I use it mainly on gaming. I have 2.5 ram. Im a AMD fanboy just letting yall know. But anyways I dont have the money for another desktop. Would it be better if I put a E521 motherboard in it? or should i find a cheap E521 and try to sell my E510?

Your motherboard can only support Pentium CPU's

Processor
Processor type Intel® Pentium® 4 5XXX and 6XXX
processors with Hyper-Threading
technology
NOTE: Not all Pentium 4 processors
support Hyper-Threading technology.

I heard that my motherboard can handle the intel pentium D which is the dual core 3.4 ghz i think. do you know if that is true?

Problem is that you are upgrading from an outdated CPU to an outdated CPU.
You are not gonna feel much of a difference. Better save those money for a new computer.

I heard that my motherboard can handle the intel pentium D which is the dual core 3.4 ghz i think. do you know if that is true?
Isn't it already a Pentium D you have installed in your system? Note there are more pentiums D's than only one as you make it out to be.
this site says it is a Pentium D you have. http://www.pcworld.com/product/28578/dell-dimension-e510.html
So you want to spend money on gaining 0.6 ghz extra on an outdated CPU. plz don't.

Rather buy a cheap graphic card than a CPU. after all you are mainly using to for gaming.
the ATI Radeon X600 is worthless.

Last edited:
I can see the Pentium D 3.4 ghz you are referring to is from the 900 series.
I am not sure if that is supported by your computer. You are on the 800 series.
Just because they use the same "processor slot" as you call it (referring to your first post), doesn't mean that the motherboard supports it.
But it doesn't matter really. The only difference are 0.6 ghz and "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology" as they call it. The CPU architecture is the same. not worth the time and money.

Last edited:
I have read that the Pentium D 3.4 ghz will work with the motherboard but i just have to update my bios to A07. But I have a AMD radeon R5 series graphics card in it now.

Back
Top Bottom