Dell Dimension 8300 Upgrade Help

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I have a Dell 8300 (4 or 5 years old now), it has a Pentium 4 HT 3.00GHz, 2GB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9550 256MB and I am looking to replace the motherboard and put a core 2 duo in it. The only problem is that dell have their own strange case layouts and have different front panel connectors. I have noticed that my 1999 Dell XPS T700R has the same font panel connector and its roughlt 5 years older. Does this mean I would be able to buy a newer Dell motherboard off ebay and the connectors would be the same? I can see that the size and shape is the same on the ones on ebay. Anybody know? Thanks.

EDIT: I know it must be possible to upgrade as I saw a video on ebay where somebody had upgraded a Dell 4100 (Pentium 3) to a core 2 duo using an Intel board.

You should be able to upgrade your dell. I know that Dell does some wierd things with their configuration. I don't know a lot about this one, but I suppose that you could upgrade with a dell mobo and have it work, but I am not sure. So I would wait for others to post, too.

Cheers!

Vaio, off topic here but are you also replacing the RAM? If you are I'll make an offer for the 2GB depending on the speed.

Thanks for the replies. I am upgrading the ram but I already have some spare parts (I have 4GB 800MHz), thanks for the offer though, sorry I couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom