Dell Dimension 3000 Won't Power Up (Amber Power Light)

i just got done doing some research on this problem, and some one had the same blinking light problem and it turned out to be a usb port shorting out. Dont know if this is true or not but it cant hurt to try. Find the wire install the case that goes to you usb port on the front of your computer( if yours have one on the front) then trace that to the motherboard and unplug it and then try to boot the computer. Again i dont know how that can make a computer not cut on but some people have had that problem. So try that and then get back with me.

tj

Have you checked out all of the capacitors on the motherboard to see if any is fried, leaking, or domed on top. Check to make sure the motherboard has not crosion on it. Other then that, thats all i can think of. If anybody else has any suggestion on how to fix it im all ears!!

Your heatsink could be burnt out my sons Acer laptop died last week he left it on all night on his bed and it couldn't vent next morning tried to cut it back on and the light would blink turn green and shut off did this all day I took it apart and found burnt spots on the heatsink I just took parts I can use and tossed it ordered him a referb acer off ebay. Trouble with computers is you have to determine if the computer is worth fixing or better to get a new or referb now that PCs are cheap they more desposable now

Unplug all unnecessary parts for PC screen to show.

Includes: Discdrive, Harddrive

If theres multipe sticks of RAM, use only one to start with.

If its still amber light, try swapping the RAM with another one of your sticks, if it's sill amber, then it's probably board or PSU.

If light is green after unplugging the HDD and discdrive, add th parts one at a time to deduce which one it is.

I just ordered a new system board yesterday and it came today in less than 24hrs(speedy delivery or what!). I installed the motherboard, put the cpu in (pentium 4) and heat sink, fans, power supply, RAM, and hooked up ALL the cables. Then, I tried to fire it up and GUESS WHAT!! IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The amber light still blinks. I tried different CPUs (all pentium 4's), but it didn't make difference. I bought this motherboard on ebay from a top-rated seller (e-partsandmore07) and the seller said that the motherboard was in used condition and is supposed to work as intended. What the heck do I do now?!

Last edited:
What happens if you hold the power button down for about 20-30 seconds? Does the computer shut off (and the light go out)? If so, can you restart it from there?

Back
Top Bottom