Dell Dimension 2400 Mobo Upgrade

ct_roll

Solid State Member
I have recently come across a Dell Dimension 2400 (Intel Celeron 2.6, 256 MB of RAM), and I need some help finding a new motherboard.

The current mobo has integrated audio and video. It does not have an AGP slot, thererfore I can't install a graphics card. I just need something that can run all the high-end games well, but I don't need a beast.

Forgive the n00bness, just looking for your opinions.

Ok if u have a dell u need to buy a dell mobo.... order a mother board on ebay from a 4600 it will work for that if i am correct and if u can a picture of case inside

I do not have access to a digital camera at the moment, so no pic now. I could not use ANY other motherboard than a DELL one?

I checked Ebay for it anyway, and I could not really find anything.

Dell is funny about that. They sometimes use off size cases just to keep you from installing something else in it. But I think that you are going to find that just replacing the mobo and installing a graphics is not going to really help you as that chip that is installed on that machine is also garbage. It in itself was known to be sluggish even when brand new. That Is a very low end CPU. My suggestion on this is to install a PCI graphics that will help out a little in playing the 3D games and add 256megs more memory and then sell it and use the money to buy the parts for a good gamer.
Sorry, but I don't think that you will ever be happy with anything that came with that computer in the ways of gameing, but as an office, business set up with all the programs that were preinstalled on the seagate 40 gig and the 19" monitor then it will be fine.

fyi a celeron isnt BAD people miss under stand them cause when u get a celeron system they usally have Integrated graphics....

Thanks for the help guys. I will probably do what suggested. I only really want to run games like CS and UT on the Dell.

BTW, I have a better gaming machine at my fathers home (I still live with my parents, I'm only 18).

Intel P4 2.6
1 GB RAM
Geforce FX 5600

I can't think of all the specs off the top of my head right now. I had it built for me at a local computer shop (Tech Advanced). It works for me. I play Far Cry on the highest settings and have no problems.

Back
Top Bottom