Dell Desktop - Blinking Amber Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaM

Beta member
I'm a computer repair novice, so please be gentle with me.

I have an older Dell Dimension 8400 that won't power up. I came home a couple of days ago to find the power button blinking amber. When I push the power button nothing happens. If I press and hold it down, the blinking stops and the computer completely powers down. However, if I press the power button again, it just blinks amber and won't power up.

I have tried unplugging the computer and keeping it unplugged for several hours, both when the light is blinking and when the light is not blinking. Once I plug it back in and push the power button, the amber blinking starts again.

I read in a couple of forums that the problem could be the PSU, so I replaced the PSU with brand new one. This did nothing to solve the problem. When the light is blinking amber, there is solid green light on the motherboard.

Should I replace the motherboard or junk the computer and purchase a new one? Or is there another possible solution to my problem?

This problem happened once before a couple of weeks ago. After pressing the power button numerous times and tapping the keyboard in between, the computer did finally power up, and a message briefly appeared on the screen that read, preparing to hibernate, before it powered up. I did recently activate the hibernate options on the computer, and I realize now that I shouldn't have done so with a desktop.

Help!

Try running with bare essentials, PSU, Motherboard, GFX, one stick of RAM. Everything else, take off.

I removed one stick of RAM and power connection to everything but Motherboard and monitor and still didn't work. I even alternated using the other RAM only, but no luck.

Erase your CMOS memory, sounds like a BIOS power management problem and that might fix it. If you can get around the boot problem then you should be able to bypass the restore image that's stored for hibernation and then disable hibernation in windows.

I erased the CMOS and still no luck. The computer appears completely dead, except that the power light blinks amber and the motherboard has a constant green light. Otherwise nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom