delete 1 of two existing operating system???

laisengchew

Beta member
Hello,
i have two operating system on my computer. Both of the OS are Windows XP Professional. I want to delete one of the OS. Both of the OS are located in different drive on my computer, which is C drive and D drive.
When i boot my computer, i have two OS to choose. Both of them are the same which is Win Xp Professional. I want to delete the OS which is in D drive. I dont the the selection appear again when i boot my computer.
Anyone could help me on this?

Thanks in advance,

laisengchew@yahoo.com

Could you not just reformat drive D to remove that operating system?

It'll leave your original XP installation on drive C, and it'll also mean you only have one operating system. Which will get rid of the selection.

I know what you are talking bout since i knew someone w/the same prob. here's what you need to do:

right click my computer/ click the advanced tab/ settings button on startup & recovery ..

one there, click the edit button, and delete one of the operating systems from there, just use the default one.it will probably be the second one.. you want to delete, then just reboot, it should use the default one instaed of having to choose between two.

I would just edit your boot.ini file, remove one of the enteries, than format the corrisponding drive. If you need a more detailed explanation drop another line in here. Cheers.

Dear Mr Mixx and others,

this is the boot.ini files details

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

how should i edit the file?

thanks again.

laisengchew said:
Dear Mr Mixx and others,

this is the boot.ini files details

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

<delete what is below this line, and that should take care of it..>
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

how should i edit the file?

thanks again.
Try the following above, that should do the trick..

1.Go to System Properties
2.Start and Recovery.... Settings
3.Pick the correct Default operating system. In your case the one on C:
4.Remove the "v" in the two time boxes below.
5.Reboot and do as u like with D:

If you want to delete one remove it from boot.ini on whichever one yo want to delete remover that line with the partition number. Then Format the partition.

Back
Top Bottom