Default Browser Not Entirely Working

hcrawfor

Beta member
Sometimes my default browser (Chrome) in Win 10 doesn't open a hyperlink... but Microsoft Edge opens the link instead. I've checked all the settings to which I am aware, and they reflect Chrome as my default browser. Why does Edge sometimes open a hyperlink instead of Chrome?

On a side note: I have a friend who appears to have a virus within Edge which freezes his PC... but only when Edge opens. He's run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware to no avail. Everything is fine when using Chrome... but if he opens Edge by mistake (or his system opens a hyperlink in Edge), the virus reappears and freezes his PC. He's instructed to call an 800 # to resolve the issue. If he reboots there is no issue... UNLESS he opens Edge.

It could be that the pages extension isn't set to open in Chrome. Your default browser is mainly for HTML pages. It may not be default for say PHP, ASP, or JSP.

As Justin_Time said; it's likely a file association issue. E.g. you open a .PDF and Edge is set to be the default for .PDF's

RE: Edge freezing
You (friend) have to reset Internet Explorer. Type Internet Explorer in the search and launch it. Go to settings and clear history, reset advanced settings and all settings back to default. That should fix the locking and phone call garbage.

Back
Top Bottom