deal went south on me.

wslctrc

Solid State Member
Hi all, I would just like to get an opinion here about a problem I seem to have.
I upgraded to a newer used laptop computer from an older laptop and decided to sell the old one on Craigslist. I listed it for $350 and after much interest I sat down with a buyer at a coffee shop and she gave it the once over. The laptop worked fine for me all the time I had it and after 20 minutes to 1/2 hour we struck up a deal for $320. This was two Sundays ago and last Saturday a friend of hers calls me up and says that the laptop is not working nor has it worked since Tuesday and I have two options - I can either fix it or refund her money, I said she bought it as is and I am not a store it was a private sale. He then threatened to come to my house so I hung up. The next day I get an email from her saying she works in the legal field and I don't realize who I am dealing with and says either give her money back or she is taking me to small claims court telling me I shouldn't sell junk knowing it is no good. I feel that if she contacted me right away and asked what can we do about this I might feel differently. The way she initiated this with threats of coming to my home or taking me to court was wrong. I responded back telling her that I don't like being threatened and she had ample time to think this through and I would take some time to let her know.
I know I sold a good working laptop and she had ample time to make her decision, being able to walk away from the deal.
What are your thoughts on this?

You sold it to her and there was no warranty mentioned, or guarantee that it worked, so I don't think she can do much. She probably just wants her money back or something.

I think she has no argument. When you buy from a private dealer, it usually is "buy as is". You have no guarantee or warranty and she knew that.

If it was working when she bought it and then stopped working a couple of days later, then that is unfortunate for her, but that is part of buying something as is in a private sale.

yer i dont think there is any way she could pursue this in the small claims court as a private sale there is no regulation to cover the sale of your items

sold as seen.. you didnt offer a warranty.. she doesnt have a clue what shes on about, theres nothing she can do, let her take you to small claims.. she wont get anything if you didnt offer a warranty

Exactly..it was a used, what-you-see-is-what-you-get deal and quite honestly that's the risk one should expect with buying a used laptop (not that was anything wrong with it in the first place). Hell, she should know this if she's in the legal field..

Unless you signed a contract or gave her a guarantee, she has nothing on you. If that guy who threatened you calls again, you can call the cops on him.

Yeah you have nothing to worry about...The fact that you even met the person and showed them that it worked makes it even more in your favor... Without taking it apart there is no way of telling if they spilled a soda on it, dropped it off their lap, their kid put it in a fish tank, ninjas came in at night and downloaded virus's...If you buy something a private sale and it works perfectly after your inspection and you purchase it anything that goes wrong from that point on is your own problem....Don't worry about small claims court, I'd be more worried about the guy coming and kicking your ass...Best option is send her a nice email stating that she checked it out and it worked fine when you sold it to her and there is no chance of her getting a refund for that reason and tell her if her or the other guy contacts you with any more threats that the police will get involved. Save a copy of ALL the emails that have been sent and received so far as proof to your case if she does decide to bring you to court.

Back
Top Bottom