Dead PC question

Ossy30

Beta member
UNIT: Emachines 3220
Mobo: Intel D845GVSR Socket 478
CPU: Intel Celeron
PS: 250W
Memory: 512mb (1 dimm)

Issue: Dead PC. Nothing turns on. The led on the motherboard is lit.

What I've done so far:
- replaced the power supply, the new one does not turn on either
- replaced the motherboard
- eliminated on/off switch by trying to start the PC using a screwdriver connecting the proper prongs on the mobo
- HDD works on test PC
- original power supply works on test PC
- CPU fan works on test PC
- flushed BIOS by taking the battery out for a minute

Any ideas? Your input would be very appreciated.

Can you hear the HDD spinning at all? Ram might be dead. If you get power to the mobo, but nothing happens when you press the power button, but everything lights up, the ram might be dead, or you may need to reseat it.

replaced the ram with a new dimm, nothing.
hdd doesn't spin (works fine when connected to test pc)

To correct a misunderstanding, only the led light on the motherboard lights up, nothing else does.

try replacing ram (Although if I remember right, the computer will beep without ram in it, so prolly not that), check all the wires, and check to see if the case power switch plug is bad. Could even try to hook up the switch to a different case to see if it works. It may be a dumb suggestion, but I guess it's worth a try.

It could also be the processor. Sometimes, if the processor is bad--depending on what is wrong with it--it could keep a computer from turning on. i was troubleshooting my brother's computer, and that was the issue as to why his was not coming on. I'm in the process of getting the new cpu to replace it.

Many suggestions were given, and you've tried them all: plus, you've done a wide range of troubleshooting to rule out many things. That was what I could come up with. i hope I helped out. Let us know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom