DEAD motherboard Dell Inspiron 1720, Help!

alex_boothby

In Runtime
Hi guys,

My girlfriends dell inspiron 1720 motherboard has decided to fail and typically after the warrenty ended.

After reasearch it appears to be a major problem with the 1720 motherboard and a lot do it.

I could buy a second hand one off ebay and fit it myself, but thers no guarentee that that mobo wont do the same thing soon after fitting it ans it wil be waste of £170!

I havnt tried ringign Dell but i assume they will say unlucky your warrenty has ended, but we will fix it for xxx amount of money. Which i think is ridiculous beacuase its a fault from day 1 just waiting to happen!

So bascially was just wondering if any of you guys have any ideas about how to cut my losses?

Many thanks!!!

In short, if it's a fault with that particular board and you can't get any other board that'll fit I'd not bother for the reasons you outlined! Sometimes you can't really cut your losses, you just have to accept things as bad luck and move on...

yeh thats what ive been thinking! Just a shame because every otehr part on it works! maybe will put it on ebay see if i can anything for it for spares!

lesson of the day...Always buy the extended warrenty with a laptop!!

Same thing happened with my XPS M1210. Dell does not pay a lot of attention when they design their boards. There is even a theory that they intentionally make their motherboards overheat.

If I were you, I'd take it apart and sell the pieces individually. You can recoup some of the losses like that. (much more than selling a broken one)

dam Dell! wrong really isnt it, i know 500 quid these days isnt much but a lot of money to me and would like tot hink something worth 500 quid would last more than just 2 years!! i suppose thats why they want you to buy extended warrenty!! but that can cost a fortune too!!!

I'll take it all aprt and stick it on Ebay then yeh? And just hope someone wants it!

Sounds like a plan. :)

As a general rule, laptops in general aren't particularly reliable when compared to desktops anyway, but Dell isn't anywhere near the top when it comes to laptops. The top four for that are Asus, Toshiba,Sony, and Apple. Lenovo Thinkpads are also very reliable and sturdy, but the brand as a whole loses points when you add in the Ideapad line...

Right now, Asus is typically the best company to buy from.

Back
Top Bottom