Dead Car on my hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almightytharo

Solid State Member
I have a 1996 Bonneville SSEI that is toast. My only option now is either an overhaul or a motor swap and neither are within reason for this car and my current time frame. This is also the first dead car I have had on my hands and I want to see what I can do to get something out of it.

Is it far fetched to part it out?? I ordered new seats for my Focus off ebay and got a new door for my sisters Mazda online before. Is it reasonable at all to try and sell some of my car that way and then junk the rest?

Talking to NAPA a rebuilt supercharger costs $1300. Why cant I sell mine for $500? I've got 9/32 tread on my tires, sell them for $40 each. Sell the rims for $45 each. I put a $100 dollar battery in last month, sell that for $20. Not to mention this inside is leather interior and is FLAWLESS.

Am I out of my mind or is this something a regular joe can actually do and maybe earn some of my money back??

Parting out the car is not entirely unreasonable, but it will take a fair bit of time to find buyers for everything and you need to have a place to keep a non-running half disassembled car for an extended period of time.

Once you've sold the bits of value off it it, you can send the car to the scrapper for it's material value.

I agree with aspire, and this is EXACTLY what I did with my intrepid when the car sat too long with a bad transmission.

I pulled the computers, headlamp/taillight assemblies, gauges, just about every single thing that could be sold, I even pulled the heads on the engine because they was brand new and someone needed some good heads for there engine. Just don't sell anything more than 50% the cost of a new part if its in great condition.

Once you have most the parts you will try to sale stripped, have the car towed to a "recycling center" that will weigh your car, and give you cash for the value in metals on it. I made about $650 in parts alone in the end off my intrepid, and $200 for the raw materials the recylcer bought from me. But, the intrepid also weighed a lot. The heavier your car, the more you will get at the recycler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom