Ddr3 Ram

cavemangrinder

Fully Optimized
Is it good for the LGA 775 platform? The prices on ddr3 ram have gone down significantly since last time I check and I'm wondering if I should upgrade from ddr2.

you will have to upgrade your motherboard also...your mobo only supports ddr2.

Oh yeah. Should have double checked, was taking Everest's word for it. Ok so, I have another question. If I had a LGA 775 ddr3 compatible board, would I be sticking to ddr3 800 ram as opposed to the higher clock speeds?

You should be fine with DDR2. DDR3 will only come in handy if you are overclocking the crap out of your system. You won't see any real life performance gains worth the money.

With the E6750, I would suggest getting at least the DDR3 1333 to match the processor's FSB.
I second that. You always want to try to match your processor's FSB with RAM speed if you can.
No, the RAM is bottlenecked when it surpasses the bandwidth of the FSB.
1333MHz FSB = 333MHz = DDR 667.

3dmark06grafik.png
ut2004avg.png

The timings are what will have the most effect @ >667MHz

Therefore, DDR3 RAM has no place in an FSB based platform as it's bandwidth is unneeded.

I guess that would have sumed up my original question. So, memory modules above 667mhz in a FSB platform would not bring any benefit because of the limitations of
1333MHz FSB = 333MHz = DDR 667
, unless you overclock and get the memory to 400mhz (ddr2/ddr3 800). Is that about right?

Yes, you could increase the FSB to 400MHz (1600 quad) which would increase the bandwidth and allow you to run the RAM at DDR 800 and so on...

Back
Top Bottom