Ddr2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryColeman

Solid State Member
I was doing some research before I built my new pc and came across ddr2 memory. Its been awhile since I have built anything so this is new to me. As far as I have researched it has problems with latency and all in all is not worth getting. On top of that AMD does not support it (as far as I have heard anyway).

Is this correct? Am I better off just getting some good ddr1 ram or should I go for ddr2? I had my heart set on athlon 64 but I don't know if it will be worth switching processors for the faster memory.

Intel supports DDR2. AMD are still faster because their memory controller[what ever it's called] is built in the CPU, instead in the Chipsets.

DDR2 to still performs pretty good.

If you wanted to get an Athlon 64, then dont not getting DDR2 hold you back.

If you were looking for more Intel vs AMD, I think theres still a thread going at the top of this section.

DDR2 runs at a higher latency setting, which is why amd hasnt picked up on it yet. There are no ddr2 amd64 motherboards anywhere. If you're planning on getting an amd64 you have go with ddr for now.

senseless said:
DDR2 runs at a higher latency setting, which is why amd hasnt picked up on it yet. There are no ddr2 amd64 motherboards anywhere. If you're planning on getting an amd64 you have go with ddr for now.

It's not really the motherboard that determines the memory, it's the processor.

Anyways DDR with AMD is still faster than intel with DDR2

With value PC3200 i bench up with the DDR-533 systems from intel that cost a few grand

Just get OCZ DDR550 memory, it has 2 cas latency and you can overclock... and with your AMD Athlon 64, your PC will kick @$$... don't worry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom