DDR2 memory / SATA HD's: Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgessler

Solid State Member
I will slowly be in the process of collecting parts to build a decent computer, I don't want to spend more than $7-800 in doing so, so I'll be looking out for good deals.

The thing is, I'm not very computer-building savvy regarding what parts to choose. I see there are always great deals on the DDR ram (not DDR2), and the older ATA hard drives (not the SATA ones). My question: will I be good with the older technology (like a 250GB 7200rpm ATA)? Can anyone point out what I'll be missing out on if I chose to go with the older technology? Do you guys think I'll be fine with the older technology? I'm planning on putting in a P4 3.0ghz, or a similar AMD.

Thanks,
Dan

get an amd machine, they're cheaper and better preformance, that leaves out ddr2 and sata isn't much more than ata, 160gb for $87

Thanks for the reply. Keep the opinions coming please :) On a separate note.. if my time on the computer is spent 98% of the time not gaming, would you still recommend an AMD over an Intel? In other words, will the AMD's perform just as good for tasks excluding gaming? That HT technology which Intel introduced seems like it would benefit a person like me (who may be running multiple large programs at once).

Dan

Save up all your money, and buy everything at once. Unless your going to be getting all the pieces within maybe a week, which you aren't going to be doing it seems. It will save you some money, since prices are going down.

Intel is the better choice for general purpose multitasking and casual gaming. An Intel will give you plenty of fps enough, then you just need a good vid card.

Maybe you might want to go with the cheaper celeron d or sempron 3100 and overclock it if you plan on building a comp for 800 bucks. Sure celeron d doesnt have hyperthreading and sempron doesnt have 64 bit, but If your planning on getting a decent comp for 800, you have to cut somwhere. However, if you aren't planning to get a monitor,keyboard, os, and mouse, then 800 dollars is a pretty decent amount for a comp.

Hacp said:
Maybe you might want to go with the cheaper celeron d or sempron 3100 and overclock it if you plan on building a comp for 800 bucks. Sure celeron d doesnt have hyperthreading and sempron doesnt have 64 bit, but If your planning on getting a decent comp for 800, you have to cut somwhere. However, if you aren't planning to get a monitor,keyboard, os, and mouse, then 800 dollars is a pretty decent amount for a comp.

that's dumb..he can just save money and get everything he needs at once (and better stuff too)

i dont think he means it like that, i think he means, if the guy already has an operating system, monitor, and mouse from another system he owned... just my guess, but id have to say so.

For $800 USD you should not have to stoop to sempron/celeron. You might have to get a 2.8 p4 or an amd 2800+ but you gotta budget that in. Having one of those two top-of-the-line processors is crucial.

i have an xp-m for sale :D along with the nf7-s it can easily hit 2.8 gigahertz on air! thats only gonna cost you about 150 bucks, for board and cpu! memory for around 200 and you got a sweet setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom