Ddr2/ddr S939/am2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blolodyfinger

Baseband Member
Ok, I'm building a new cpu but non of the S939 mobos seem to support DDR2 ram. Is this even a BAD thing? I've been reading but can't get a clear description of what the difference is. Same goes for S939 vs. AM2. Is there and winning combo because I'm thinking of just getting a DFI lanparty mobo that's S939 and going with PC2-800 DDR ram..... any help?

I'm building my cpu on ncix.com and they don't have that one:( unless you can come up with a better place to buy a computer in canada I'm kinda stuck with them...

You mean you are choosing your parts that you will use to build your own computer right? Try ebay and tigerdirect.com

heh...... no.......... actually I need a place that'll build it for me... please don't try and convince me that I'd be able to build it either. I don't have the time or the patience.

Blolodyfinger said:
heh...... no.......... actually I need a place that'll build it for me... please don't try and convince me that I'd be able to build it either. I don't have the time or the patience.

Well that right there just severly limited your options, and you're going to have to live with it. If you was to use ddr2, you need to go with AM2, no way to get around it.

k here is the deal, AM2 motherboards support DDR2, s939 do not support DDR2, only ddr, but they have made Am2s for s939 mobos, just without the ddr2 option. just hte cpu.

Thanks for all the help people! Just one thing though, no one really answered which one is better!!;) Is DDR2 really that big an advantage over DDR and is S939 really better than AM2? And is the DDR2/AM2 combo a S939/DDR killer?

try not to think of everything in such absolute terms. not everything has to be better or worse. in this case i would say DDR2/AM2 and DDR/s939 are parellel. they offer virtually the same performance. in my humble opinion though for the moment s939 is better due to the lower prices and proven hardware. AM2 is on shaky ground with no what i would say are great motherboards and more than a few glitches in it's memory controller. however that being said, AM2 is probably a better option as it makes for easy future upgradeability

heh, thanks! I think I'll just stick with the S939/DDR combo if I don't end up going to conroe. I usually don't really upgrade all too often, I just sell and buy a whole new pc:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom