Data Recovery

jls1986

Beta member
Long story short: My laptop hard drive is going out..Took it out and hooked it up to another comp.. When its connected it freezes the computer up at the boost screen, but it is detected in the bios.. I cant get into windows at all with the hard drive connected... Question is... are there any pre OS boot up - command line type data recovery programs that I could use to recover my data? Thank you

Make sure that the laptop hdd is set to slave.

I know of no recovery programs, but I have never looked.. I always got it working some how..

Just google it.

Is your computer set to run two sata drives?

Sorry dude, I have no idea.. make it an external drive and plug it in after the boot. Make sure in the bios it's set to start off of your primary hdd. Maybe the second connector on the cable is busted or something.

Suggestion for next time you use a new hdd. Partition it..

100gb hdd
20 = OS
80 = Stuff.

That way you jsut have to reinstall the os on the 20gb partition.

I'm sure in another couple of hours you will have more replies.

Is your computer by chance trying to boot to your laptop drive?? Check your boot order.
Another option is get an external cage (something to hook up via usb, there are other options but they are usually just as spendy) and hook it up after windows boots. It is very likely though that the hdd file structure is completely screwed and will lock up your computer. If this is the case your screwed. Hopefully nothing to important or you'll be learning the value of data backup. Good luck, if the info is really important and you wanna pay for it (meaning mega $$) you can google data recovery group (think thats the company we used at my old job), they actually take the drive apart to get the data off the platters, but it runs I think a minimum of about 300 bucks.

I would say I am screwed. I select the computer to boot from the primary HD, and it just freezes. I know this isnt the safest thing to do... but, I have tried to boot the comp up first, and then plug the drive in while the comp is already in windows. It detects the drive, and acts like its installing it, and just sits there. It never actually installs the drive.

I have so much stuff on there :mad:

its actually in your bios, it will say its on AHCP mode turn it off and turn it to ATA

Right? try that I think it will solve it all

o and turn flash module off

If it were only that simple... I see no options for either of those settings in the BIOS though.

Back
Top Bottom