Data Recovery

ladykiller1

Baseband Member
I mentioned in my last posting that my hard drive crashed and I was on a mission to build a new gaming rig.

Now I am hoping to get some help in getting the data off my old hd and onto my girlfriends computer.

Maybe "crashed" isn't the right word to describe what happened to my hd. When I would try and start my pc it would boot to the XP loading screan and then just sit there. The little scrolling things would keep going and going just like the energizer bunny. So I decided to take it out and put it into my girlfriends computer.
So I started up her pc and there it was. I could finally access my hd. I opened the "documents and settings" folder and then tried to open the "Owner" folder and it says ...Access is denied. I'm assuming this is because I put a password on my pc.
I have a copy of Knoppix 5.0, a version of Linux. I put that in the DVD drive and restarted her pc. I booted it into linux and I could access both drives. When I tried to move all my files to her hd, it says it cannot write some of the files. Ex: I can move one doc file but not another, one jpeg but not another, etc. I mounted both drives and changed the permissions so I could read and write to both.

I have not tried to use the XP revcovery disk. Mainly because I don't know where it is. :)

Any other ideas besides paying someone?

Anyone know of any good freeware I could try in my situation?

THANKS !!!

Back
Top Bottom