Data Recovery ? - Whats the dumbest computer mistake you've made - Data Recovery ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well those seem like some interesting mistakes that have turned into a learning experience. I thank the recent posters and welcome more.

Toby

Well those seem like some interesting mistakes that have turned into a learning experience. I thank the recent posters and welcome more.

Toby

I'm with Craf on the formatting the hard drive. But it was a bad day all around that day.

I was installing a second hard drive. After a successful physical install (it was racked inside and plugged up), I turned on the pc to see if it would still boot with the primary hard drive. Of course, I didn't have the case cover on.

While booting, I accidently dropped a very small screwdriver into the fan. Luckily, it was one of the "correct", static-free screwdrivers. Unluckily, it was still stronger than the vanes on the fan which now broke and locked up the motor.

Luckily, I grabbed the screwdriver and removed it before any more damage was done. Unluckily, I knocked the main case screw down inside the uncovered pc.

Luckily, the screw missed the buzzing fan. Unluckily, it landed on some wee little metal parts on the mother board.

After the insueing hisses, clicks, flashes, and a small puff of smoke, I saw that it was not irrepairable. It could be fixed. Luckily, a friend of mine that works for a large firm doing computer work stopped at my house. He was in his work van. He had a new mother board, slightly better anyway, and the fan. He helped my put it back together, along with the case cover, and then got it booted again. So, my luck changed!

Then I formatted the primary hard drive. :(

I'm with Craf on the formatting the hard drive. But it was a bad day all around that day.

I was installing a second hard drive. After a successful physical install (it was racked inside and plugged up), I turned on the pc to see if it would still boot with the primary hard drive. Of course, I didn't have the case cover on.

While booting, I accidently dropped a very small screwdriver into the fan. Luckily, it was one of the "correct", static-free screwdrivers. Unluckily, it was still stronger than the vanes on the fan which now broke and locked up the motor.

Luckily, I grabbed the screwdriver and removed it before any more damage was done. Unluckily, I knocked the main case screw down inside the uncovered pc.

Luckily, the screw missed the buzzing fan. Unluckily, it landed on some wee little metal parts on the mother board.

After the insueing hisses, clicks, flashes, and a small puff of smoke, I saw that it was not irrepairable. It could be fixed. Luckily, a friend of mine that works for a large firm doing computer work stopped at my house. He was in his work van. He had a new mother board, slightly better anyway, and the fan. He helped my put it back together, along with the case cover, and then got it booted again. So, my luck changed!

Then I formatted the primary hard drive. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom