Damaged 6800GS? :(

Thanks Feircepc for the link, but since its happening on all partitions, I don't believe its driver orientated.

As for reseating it, I'll do it in a bit :)

Though, the weird thing is, it hasn't done it since. It'll probably still do it once or twice in 3D Studio max, but it hasn't done it once starting up since.

It only did it the once on each partition after moving it. What could that have been about?

It might be a driver problem. Rollback your drivers and see if the problems still occur.

Yeah but each partiton has a different Windows installation, and Nivida driver. So it wouldn't happen all at once?

Kage said:
Yeah but each partiton has a different Windows installation, and Nivida driver. So it wouldn't happen all at once?

You sure every partition had a different driver? Do you have 3 different Windows installations on the drive, one on each partition? That would allow you to have a different set of drivers for each, yes.

Hmm...

Sounds really weird. I'd start by just making sure everything is secure and connected inside since most of the problems started when you were moving your pc around. You might just have a defective video card. Try using your old 9800 for test purposes, and checking if your 6800 is still covered under the warranty.

Don't BFG cards have an unlimited guarantee?

I'll restart the computer now actually and reseat it, but its not doing it now at start up, so I wouldn't know how to test it. Its like its fixed again... and I'm going to re-install max, because I didn't after the card change which somehow might have done something to that.

And yes, different windows installations and different driver installations on each partition.

I'm pretty sure it'd be the card in some way though, but yes, its a tad bit weird :p

Right, I have an image finally of it doing it.

I had the CD drive open, and my brother closed it. It happened straight away.

The more you move the mouse around, move folders about, scroll up down an internet page, the worse the image gets, until you place a new window/web page above it. Then as you move that, that gradually gets worse too, until its covered in green, and JPEG type mess ups, until text etc becomes very unreadable:

problemmess.jpg

its not just limited to programs though, it happens on everything!

So weird I know, but thats after moving it about a bit. It started out with just dots...

RESEAT:

I just did a reseat, but I probably won't know for a while.

What got me concerned though, was how it occured after a DVD drive was closed.

Closer inspection while connecting power cable back up, was that I wasn't giving the graphics card its own 12volt connection, and its infact sharing it with the hard drive and the DVD Rom drive.

I can't do anything about that since this PSU don't seem to contain that many connections :(

Could this in fact be the course?

It might be. Try using unplugging one of the connectors for an extraneous device, and using that extra connector for your video card.

Back
Top Bottom