CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCKS

This is always how it's been, pretty much in every company. IT is an expense (albeit a necessary expense), but they usually decide to cut the IT budget first because it "doesn't bring in any money" - but IT is used TO bring in the money by keeping up infrastructure and such so sales / advertising can do their work efficiently.

It's really sad.
My last 2 jobs were at big corporations, Cargill and Best Buy.
My current job is at a small company that sells medical malpractice insurance, they have about 160 employees, it's really different but nice.
Everyone in IT is right next to me. When something goes wrong and needs to be fixed it gets done quick or at least someone has taken action to try fixing it.
At BBY things took forever to get fixed. When you scheduled meetings with the UNIX team to get installs done, they wouldn't show up, the people in India worked their own random times so you would then have to go to someone's desk so they would have no choice.

This is always how it's been, pretty much in every company. IT is an expense (albeit a necessary expense), but they usually decide to cut the IT budget first because it "doesn't bring in any money" - but IT is used TO bring in the money by keeping up infrastructure and such so sales / advertising can do their work efficiently.

+1 A point I brink up all of the time. A company can't view IT as an expense but a general operating cost. Without IT there is no production over all. ;)

Back
Top Bottom