CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCKS

I've been in NUMEROUS CS situations, both directly and indirectly, and I don't know if it's just me, but honestly, I get the feeling that the people on the problem end these days go into the situation expecting zero results, and will get nothing out of it other than the opportunity to give someone a piece of their mind because it makes them feel even a little bit in control, or at the very least, not so helpless. Yes, I will agree there is a small amount of entitlement when it comes to paying for a service, but the person you're talking to is merely a rep for a the larger service provider, having no connection to anyone responsible for your plight. They field so much negativity on a daily basis, the last thing I want to do when I call them is add to that. They're not responsible for anything that's happened to me, they don't know me from Adam, and chances are, they're just as prepared to be chewed out by us as some of us are to chew them out, and what does that say about us as a society? Yes, you've been inconvenienced, but what the hell kind of good does it do beyond self gratification to take a bite out of the first CSR to pick up your call? Cordiality goes a looooong way anymore, and in fact, speaking of Verizon, I made a point last week after talking to them to tell the CSR's manager that I greatly appreciated what they did to try and help, despite not reaching the resolution I was hoping for (I ended up having to wait 2 days until my billing cycle started over), but (Bryan?) was very helpful in (what I felt was) every way he could be, and I know CS isn't going to have all of the answers all of the time. Those call centers are glorified Sardine cans, four walls and a roof to house those unlucky masses who can't find a better job, or the unique individuals who thrive in a CS atmosphere...but I digress. When I talked to the guy's Supervisor, he was legitimately surprised that I was complimenting their service, and actually gave me some extra benefits. My point is, job titles and duties aside...it's human to human. We're all people, getting through the day, with our lives to lead, and yet, our interactions throughout stick with us, even after we clock out. Make sure you're on the side of what gives them a reason to get out of bed the next morning.

Does anyone remember Packard Bell computers? Ever try calling their customer service back then? ;)

A few things have been said here that are right on the point. Just to summarize:

• A lot of companies outsource their customer support
  • Most customer support reps aren't highly trained but use docs to common problems
  • Most companies care but go about it the wrong way
One of the major selling points I use is that it is an American owned and an American operated company. i.e. when you call for support you get an American. No offense to anyone intended at all but that is the top complaint customers have is that they have trouble communicating with support.

Major corporations are so big that they can't focus on an individual customer but have to focus on the larger general picture offering the best that in their eyes they can. Unfortunately this means treating everyone like a customer instead of like family. Being smaller I can focus on the treating everyone like family and train others to do the same.

Today for the most part computer repair in general has become a numbers game rather than a customers game. Solutions are created that are the easiest and fastest rather than what is best for the computer owner. Best Buy for example (Used to be in Geek Squad so don't jump me). A majority of their repairs are sent off. Those places make more profit the more comps they get through so rather than taking the time to offer best solution they focus on fastest. The customer/owner loses out in this scenario if they don't have things like software keys etc. They also have to pay a great deal more than they should for backups etc...it's actually a symptom of the disposable type culture going on versus what it was 20+ years ago

Just recently I called CS to TPLink about a switch I bought, The wait was not very long and the phone options were fairly basic too. The service person was an eastern gal (where I not sure but Japan, China or Korea sounding) and she had good english. She asked me about several different things that I already tried and I told her I basically just switched switches, She agreed there was a problem and recommended I get an RMA number. It all went much better than I expected

I'm a fan of companies that are bringing CS back to the US.
I can't stand the ones in India and the Philippines.

It's hard to blame them though.
I bring the blame the companies who want to be cheap and save money.

I'm a fan of companies that are bringing CS back to the US.
I can't stand the ones in India and the Philippines.

It's hard to blame them though.
I bring the blame the companies who want to be cheap and save money.

I have a bit of a divided view/understanding when it comes to the outsourcing etc...

The cost associated with a quality CS department is HUGE no doubt. Those working here in the USA want a byond good wage and a lot have poor work ethics on top of that...what most forget is that Corporations have shareholders to answer to and one of the largest areas of profit loss is running a customer service department...they are also focused on already customers so no new profit is coming from it immediately. So the logic for outsourcing over seas is really our own creation...at the same time the loss of customers is quite huge too so it really is a catch 22 for the larger companies

One would think that corporations would best cut their CS losses by making better products. If they didn't try cutting corners and checked everything going out the door, they could reduce their CS costs and maintain their client base too

Last edited:
One would think that corporations would best cut their CS losses by making better products. If they didn't try cutting corners and checked everything going out the door, they could reduce their CS costs and maintain their client base too

That is true but only up to a point. Once the product/service hits the public then all bets are off.

I worked for T-mobile in one of their call centers for a while. I got a LOT of drain dead calls from idiots who should have never been allowed to touch a phone. I also got a lot of calls from people who had figured out how to play the system by complaining about their bill loudly and often in order to get all or part of it taken off.

That is true but only up to a point. Once the product/service hits the public then all bets are off.

I worked for T-mobile in one of their call centers for a while. I got a LOT of drain dead calls from idiots who should have never been allowed to touch a phone. I also got a lot of calls from people who had figured out how to play the system by complaining about their bill loudly and often in order to get all or part of it taken off.
I agree, There a lot of those that are unscrupulous when it come to trying to cheat and scam their payments down... or those that are brainless and call CS for something stupid. Improving their products would still help. I did check out the reviews before I got this switch

Last edited:
I think my opinion on how companies treat IT might be similar in this case.
At Cargill our whole IT division got outsourced to TCS. They saved about 50mil
I know people that still work their and critical tickets that we used to resolve in 30 mins to an hour now take a week...so to sum it up, they're slow...THEY SUCK.
At BBY, my contract ended early due to budgeting issues.
Companies praise marketing and advertising since they bring in money.
They look at IT and I guess maybe Customer service as an expense.
Imo we should be looked upon as an investment.
Pay your employees well, treat them good and they will work hard and keep the company running strong.
I have never had a desire to steal or do bad where I've worked because I was being paid well and I valued my spot and felt privileged. I don't think people from other countries working remote at a call center would care as much.
Sure companies have losses, so they cut costs, downsize, does the ceo or the people above ever take a pay cut??? Do they really need to make millions every freakin year
Idk...I know there's so much more going into decision so I'm not going to assume that I am right and they're wrong.

Companies praise marketing and advertising since they bring in money.
They look at IT and I guess maybe Customer service as an expense.
Imo we should be looked upon as an investment.

This is always how it's been, pretty much in every company. IT is an expense (albeit a necessary expense), but they usually decide to cut the IT budget first because it "doesn't bring in any money" - but IT is used TO bring in the money by keeping up infrastructure and such so sales / advertising can do their work efficiently.

Back
Top Bottom