Custom Built Computer for Film Production.

The Techmeister

Beta member
My motion picture production business regularly engages in video & sound editing, motion graphics, animation, color grading and other activities that are resource-intense as far as the computer hardware involved is concerned.

Therefore, I plan to upgrade the computer system within a few months to handle the work much more quickly and efficiently. But I also want the best value for the money. To that end, I’m considering having a company build a technically high-end computer that is customized for the needs of my business.

However, I would likely not be able to run Apple’s macOS operating system on such a custom-built computer. Windows would, in effect, be the only operating system that could be used on such a machine. That’s a big drawback for me, since I prefer macOS and have never really been a fan of Windows (though I haven’t used it recently).

Aside from paying considerably more for an Apple computer (e.g., a Mac Pro tower) with similar technical specifications, what other options are there?

Also, I would like to hear from other film production and related professionals who use Windows for the bulk of their work: Are you happy with the workflow and the user experience? If you’ve also used the macOS for the same apps, do the same apps run as efficiently in one operating system versus the other?

Do you have more technical problems with your apps or encounter more viruses or malware in Windows as opposed to macOS or vice versa?

I technically use Windows 10 for work related tasks but I do use Windows for a few other purposes as well. I created separate accounts for each category. I have an account for work, one account for study and another account for entertainment purposes. My personal experience with Windows has been somewhat positive with a few miner annoyances such as pop up notifications by default. These notifications can be turned off in the notification center settings. Another miner annoyance is that Microsoft tends to switch settings around and add additional features during updates and newer Windows 10 versions that users don't really need, making it difficult to locate settings. It's like getting used to a new operating system all over again. :rolleyes:

As far as film production, my experience was not so great. The built in webcam is poor quality and slightly blurred vision as well as poor graphics, even if you download a high tech paid app for high definition or just well defined picture quality. I found it challenging to adjust the picture quality. You might have a much better experience using an Apple device for production.

I am not too familiar with Apple since Apple can be a little more expensive to upgrade. I have had an experience once when my children each received an Apple iPad from their school and it was a pleasant experience without a lot of bulk apps. I personally believed back than Apple did not have the same resources as Widows and was slightly less advanced than Windows. Specific work tasks, such as Microsoft Office word assignments could not be completed on an Apple device back than because of compatibility issues. All of that has probably changed since than. I still personally believe that Windows is more flexible and compatible for work related tasks and downloaded Microsoft Office Products as opposed to Apple Devices. However, Apple does appear to have a better picture quality than Widows. The picture quality contains better precision and less blur.

Overall, I believe the hardware of an Apple device is more durable than the hardware of a Windows pc. I could be wrong about that though. This was based on my own personal observations between the two devices. That must explain why Apple is more expensive than Windows. The hardware is the most important component that keeps a computer working. I think of hardware as the backbone of a PC.

Last edited:
I technically use Windows 10 for work related tasks but I do use Windows for a few other purposes as well. I created separate accounts for each category. I have an account for work, one account for study and another account for entertainment purposes. My personal experience with Windows has been somewhat positive with a few miner annoyances such as pop up notifications by default. These notifications can be turned off in the notification center settings. Another miner annoyance is that Microsoft tends to switch settings around and add additional features during updates and newer Windows 10 versions that users don't really need, making it difficult to locate settings. It's like getting used to a new operating system all over again. :rolleyes:

As far as film production, my experience was not so great. The built in webcam is poor quality and slightly blurred vision as well as poor graphics, even if you download a high tech paid app for high definition or just well defined picture quality. I found it challenging to adjust the picture quality. You might have a much better experience using an Apple device for production.

I am not too familiar with Apple since Apple can be a little more expensive to upgrade. I have had an experience once when my children each received an Apple iPad from their school and it was a pleasant experience without a lot of bulk apps. I personally believed back than Apple did not have the same resources as Widows and was slightly less advanced than Windows. Specific work tasks, such as Microsoft Office word assignments could not be completed on an Apple device back than because of compatibility issues. All of that has probably changed since than. I still personally believe that Windows is more flexible and compatible for work related tasks and downloaded Microsoft Office Products as opposed to Apple Devices. However, Apple does appear to have a better picture quality than Widows. The picture quality contains better precision and less blur.

Overall, I believe the hardware of an Apple device is more durable than the hardware of a Windows pc. I could be wrong about that though. This was based on my own personal observations between the two devices. That must explain why Apple is more expensive than Windows. The hardware is the most important component that keeps a computer working. I think of hardware as the backbone of a PC.
Thanks for your input, MemRefresh.

Thanks for your input, MemRefresh.
Your Welcome Techmeister. I'm glad I can help! :)

There is one more detail that I left out regarding your Viruses and malleware question. Microsoft appeared to be more vulnerable to virus and maleware attacks than Apple years ago but I believe that has changed since than as well. Both devices can be vulnerable to attacks these days. There used to be no alternatives for repairing Apple MAC's if the hardware failed or if maleware infected the PC. I believe an Apple device can be repaired since techology has advanced since than.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom