Custom build for Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

i8DRM

Baseband Member
Some years ago I bought a CoolerMaster CM Stormtrooper case for a custom build that I never got around to. I've decided I either need to do it, or send the case off to the recycler. I could use recommendations of parts compatible with Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Compatible means I do not want to fool with taking extreme measures to get a component to work. I hear that the latest & greatest parts require doing this, that (and the other) to get them to run Win 7, and I have no interest it that. Legacy parts are okay...I'd just like to get the best I can. So for starters, what are my options for CPU and motherboard? We can move on to the other parts later.

This build will be used mainly for surfing the internet and streaming movies/TV shows. I don't do gaming, torrents, etc., but I may want to get into Photoshop or GIMP, and Virtualbox at some point. Should probably also mention that I only use VGA and composite/component connectors, if that matters.Anything else you need to know to offer recommendations feel free to ask.

Last edited:
If your not tied into anything that Windows 10 can't run... Then why do you not just use your Windows 7 key (license) and install Windows 10? I'll admit I am still using Windows 7 myself, but I know that eventually I'm going to have to go with 10 before not too long.

I want to use a duel drive win 10 and win7. Thinking a ryzen 3 2200 should it. A b380 i think for the mb and 16 gigs of ram. Correct me if i am off

This won't be plug and play with Ryzen running W7. Will require some editing.
yup, I agree. Your going to need usb 3.x driver and an NVMe driver if you use that kinda drive for W7. Fernando has Widows 7 drivers for newer hardware, I used his drivers for my intel but not so sure if you can get AMD drivers

yup, I agree. Your going to need usb 3.x driver and an NVMe driver if you use that kinda drive for W7. Fernando has Widows 7 drivers for newer hardware, I used his drivers for my intel but not so sure if you can get AMD drivers
Backported W8 NVMe and USB3 Microsoft drivers floating around for both Intel and AMD that will work. I use them for XP Integral. Confirmed working in XP with NVMe as boot drive on H270 board.

Thinking a ssd for win7. NVMe for win 10. Have another ssd for backup. I may just have to finally toss my old games. I don't think that there is anything i have that uses USB3. The computer has USB3 on a card but don't play nice in Win7. All the others are USB2.1 and work fine but for one, It hasn't worked for a long time. I have 3 USB3's that i have never tried to see if they will work or not. Still kicking this one over yet. I have tried compatibly mode for w7 and xp with win10. It just don't work! Sucks but there it is...

What we're talking about is the compatibility with newer hardware like a Ryzen setup for Windows 10. Most all boards will be 100% USB3 or only 2 USB2 ports. USB controllers, NVMe, and SATA controllers will need drivers slipstreamed to work and in most cases even simply install.

ok, I guess my days with gaming will be over with those games. I was on a site, Don't have a link, but it was talking about a win7 2020. Never heard of it before. I question that, but anyone hear of this before? Could be fun.

ok, I guess my days with gaming will be over with those games. I was on a site, Don't have a link, but it was talking about a win7 2020. Never heard of it before. I question that, but anyone hear of this before? Could be fun.
It's an unmade design concept just like Windows XP 2021 unfortunately. If you build a new rig with new parts then just keep the old hardware with an old OS. That's what I do to play old games that don't play nice with W10.

Back
Top Bottom