Curious Question about the USA? Random thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
How would it work if I won the Lotto in America, in reguards to claiming the Prize. Say $5 on a Lotto Instant Win, fair enuf. But what if I droped a Million Bucks. Would I be entitled to the Money? :confused:

I think every state is similar or different. Here in Texas, if you won the Texas lotto you would need to go straight to Austin with the winning ticket if it is over 500 bucks. If it's a big amount they tax it and you get the rest in cash.

well seeing as you live in europe, you might not be allowed to actually buy a ticket let alone cash a prize, most lotterys are for registered citizens of that country, and state as much on the ticket.

Actually, it depends entirely on the lottery... You have scratch off tickets that are cheap, gives ya a few bucks if your lucky, you can usually cash them at the place purchased from. Then there are state, inter-state, and national lotteries. National level ones require you to be a citizen, state lotteries, you pay for the ticket, you win, you get cash, doesn't matter what country your in, as long as you purchase it while in america, and cash it in while in america. Paying in more will not give you more, you just get more tickets which increases your odds. If the lottery is funded by taxes and not ticket purchases, then you also can not claim a prize, as you have to be a US/State citizen to participate and get a chance to cash in.

The millions advertised are if you are the single winner with every number correct. If you get all but one right, you can also typically claim a prize of far less value. If there are multiple winners, the prize is split between them.

In the end, it comes down to which lottery your talking about, looking at, and wanna try to play in, every single one has different rules, but most all are the same. I have a ticket for the Kentucky Mega Millions ($363 million) that is being drawed tonight *crosses fingers tightly*. I swear if I ever won such a lottery, part of it would be split among the ACTIVE members here at that time.

The winnings also depend on how you take them, you always have to pay in taxes on it to the state/county you won it in, including federal taxes. Lets say I won that $363 million, if I wanted a lump sum, I only get a fraction of it, and the taxes removed. If I wanted it over time, I would get the "whole" $363 million, but pay taxes based on how much I get per year.

This is my states lottery http://www.kylottery.com/apps/about_us/faq_home.html

The millions advertised are if you are the single winner with every number correct. If you get all but one right, you can also typically claim a prize of far less value. If there are multiple winners, the prize is split between them.

Reminds of of Bruce Almighty. :lol: Everyone wins the jackpot, so the $363 million split up amongst 363 million people.

You get taxed on the lottery ? Aww......... that sucks harsh.

The national lottery and euromillions over here are totally tax free. We get every penny :D Just last year some scottish folk won $256m.

The national lottery and euromillions over here are totally tax free. We get every penny Just last year some scottish folk won $256m

Yea I remember that. If I Won that sort of Money, it would be a New House, Built from scrach as BIG as I could manage to Live in, with all the Modern tech of the Day and Age we Live in. Servers Running around the Clock 24\7. In a Decicated room with Dedicated Power Surplyes and Cooling, the latest Bang up to Date Server Kit, Max Security on the Property, and a good Few Cars and Bikes in the Garage seperate from the House. Think just to go that little bit firther and be stuck up, I would have secret Tunnels underground, and a Bunker of some Sort with Max Security and a Lifetime of Food\Warter\ and Surplyes. A nice Room dedicated for the Clothes I would own, and a Room seperate for my Shooes. And yes you would have to Invest that sort of Money, even a Saveings Bond with Barclays from £1 to £1 Million would do me.

To be honest I think if anything, EVER IN MY LIFETIME did happen like that sort of Money, I would have it spread out over say the rest of my Life in weekly Payments, to live on.

Yea I remember that. If I Won that sort of Money, it would be a New House, Built from scrach as BIG as I could manage to Live in, with all the Modern tech of the Day and Age we Live in. Servers Running around the Clock 24\7. In a Decicated room with Dedicated Power Surplyes and Cooling, the latest Bang up to Date Server Kit, Max Security on the Property, and a good Few Cars and Bikes in the Garage seperate from the House. Think just to go that little bit firther and be stuck up, I would have secret Tunnels underground, and a Bunker of some Sort with Max Security and a Lifetime of Food\Warter\ and Surplyes. A nice Room dedicated for the Clothes I would own, and a Room seperate for my Shooes. And yes you would have to Invest that sort of Money, even a Saveings Bond with Barclays from £1 to £1 Million would do me.

To be honest I think if anything, EVER IN MY LIFETIME did happen like that sort of Money, I would have it spread out over say the rest of my Life in weekly Payments, to live on.

If you won £161m you would never have to spend it. Even at the national 0.5% rate of interest, you would get £67,000 a month to live on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom