Creating iPhone App Off Computer Program

MSG. Lloyd

Beta member
Hello! A parvenu of this seemingly well-developed community of computer scholars, I feel it is necessary to state that I wield little to no experience in programming or the likes. I only know the most basic of the basics in relation to about any topic about anything. That being said, I have a question. I was hoping to find out if it were possible to create an Apple app based off of a pre-developed program. Allow me to supply some background: I am taking Latin. I have been a while. But, nevertheless, there is this immense body of language that is incredibly difficult to finagle one's way around. There is an online program titled Words by William Whitaker. The man who developed the program (used ADA, I believe), did so in retirement and published it as freeware. He passed along about three years ago. The program is free to download, and (to my understanding) includes files and whatnot so a person can mess around with it himself. Like I said, I don't know much of anything about anything, so I thought you guys could pitch some thoughts. I'd really appreciate it. I have an iPhone 4S as well as a 1st gen iPad (from school). I really appreciate the help and support. Thanks for your time.

A Latin-English Dictionary Program - WORDS
Words
William Whitaker's Words - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jacob Lloyd

Apple apps are (IIRC) developed in Objective C and C++ (correct me if I'm wrong). You would need to re-code the program (translate it from ADA to C/C++ basically).

And for future reference, Android apps are coded in Java (IMO easier to learn than C/C++).

Looks like it may have online versions so you could use it through your browser.

You need to be careful about translating/modifying an application unless it is open source.

From the page in question:

For developers and for porting, or anyone interested in using parts of WORDS, copy the WORDS system source, code, data, and tools. This is freely available without restriction.

Back
Top Bottom