Creating a new login prompt for website

^Mike^

Fully Optimized
I run a website for a bunch of people in our local city for a College, but since the release of IE 7, it blocks java scripted windows, so therefore the IE7 users are having problems logging in. And no i cannot tell them to use firefox. So I need an alternative, I don't want anything with SSL, or ASP. But if that's the only alternative I might have to do that. I saw a website that hosted logins for you, and all you had to do was supply them with the web address of the hidden page. So when someone is transferd to the website, and they supply the correct password, it forwards them to the web address I supplied. Any help?? :confused: :confused:

this should really be in the web programming section...

(I'll leave it here till your next reply so that you don't suddently loosesight of where the thread is).

Any page that just directs you to a hidden page is useless, you may as well just process the form manually with javascript in the same way as hackthissite.com (or whatever it does) has for it's first, (easiest) challenge of how to get around security...

the external site that redirects is a touch better, but even so, the member area will be saved in the history and available to all...

a much as you don't want to use it...

either ASP or PHP programming is the best solution to your problem.

Assuming there is not a way to disable that in IE7, it might be best to ask some one that knows thier snizzle about web sites. PM me. I'll hook you up.

There is a way to disable it in IE 7 and i have those directions on the page, I'm not looking to create a hack proof login, it's something that non members of this club won't be able to acess. The people that are in the club/interested in it don't know much about computers or anything anyway. Even if they do get into the members only section, they cannot register for the forum anyway, so they can't do much. I'm just looking to create something that requires a password to hide the page.

I hope you understand what i'm saying,

Mike

This is the site www.aelc.us

Just create a simple php based page that creates a session if correct user/password.

setishock said:
Assuming there is not a way to disable that in IE7, it might be best to ask some one that knows thier snizzle about web sites. PM me. I'll hook you up.
You know that we don't allow solicitation here...
you also know that if you want to advertise your forum then there is an advertising board that yuo could post in.
you also know that Buzz has an account here, so any advice could be just as easily posted here...
you could copy the post from here into a web FAQ on your site, bu don't try to drive traffic to your own site with statements like that...
it's just not good netiquette...

--------------
as for the login page,

IE7 is a bitch, really it's possibly the worst browser ever, I can't believe that MS have now pretty much strippde out everything that could run on a page, no javascript allowed, no activx allowed, no auto download etc... it'd be better if the script was at least checked before it was blanket disallowde, but instead every javascript is just disallowed with the excuse that it may access you machine... regardless fo whether it does or not...

/pissed off.

does each user have a different username and password, or is there a single username and password for the restricted area?

you say that everyone has a different password for the forum software,
would you want it so that they log on using this.
or do you want them simply to enter their email address say to be checked against a list and given access to the areas?

assuming that there is a forum running on the machine, does this mean that there is also an active language,? e.g. PHP or ASP, and do you have access to a database, or are these hosted else where seperate from (hidden) the pages?

root said:
as for the login page,

IE7 is a bitch, really it's possibly the worst browser ever, I can't believe that MS have now pretty much strippde out everything that could run on a page, no javascript allowed, no activx allowed, no auto download etc... it'd be better if the script was at least checked before it was blanket disallowde, but instead every javascript is just disallowed with the excuse that it may access you machine... regardless fo whether it does or not...

/pissed off.

does each user have a different username and password, or is there a single username and password for the restricted area?

you say that everyone has a different password for the forum software,
would you want it so that they log on using this.
or do you want them simply to enter their email address say to be checked against a list and given access to the areas?

assuming that there is a forum running on the machine, does this mean that there is also an active language,? e.g. PHP or ASP, and do you have access to a database, or are these hosted else where seperate from (hidden) the pages?

The page is password protected with just a password that every member knows. The box just comes up and askes you to enter the password, and if you enter it correctly it lets you in. But you can get around it by just typing into the url the page name aka like aelc.us/memberpage (not the real members only page). The forum is PHPBB, I set it up myself, and only members of AELC can login to the forum part. The meaning of the members only section of the website is to hide the forum, and post the "what happend" at the last meeting.

I do have access to MYSQL databases, I have a few left. Everything is hosted on my server that i rent a long with 4 other sites.

ok... in that case this should work for you...

Code:
<?php

ob_start();

$user_name = "ALEC";
$pass_word = "password";

$username = @$_POST['username'];
$password = @$_POST['password'];

if(($user_name == $username)&&($pass_word == $password))
{
header('Location: index_1.html');
}
else
{
echo '
<form method="POST">
<input type="text" name="username"><br />
<input type="password" name="password"><br />
<input type="submit">
</form>
';
}
?>

you can obviously change the username and password to whatever you like.

I'm not trolling for members root. For all you know I could have been giving him Buzz's e-mail address. Some of the members here have done this before. I'm just more open about it.
My bad...

Back
Top Bottom