• No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • It depends on how much info is available about the console

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ANNOI

Beta member
Hi guys! I just joined the tech forums because I wanted to discuss an idea with you all. I am a console gamer and I have been very frustrated lately with things like DRM, mandatory installations, hard drive only installs, etc. I was really pondering about a new console. Can it be done? Can an indie console created by hardware engineers like you compete against the likes of Microsoft and Sony? I am fed up with the policies and procedures instituted by these companies and the things they let game companies do to us as gamers. Can we gather together enough hardware engineers and business savvy minds to create a console that is more consumer friendly than the current leaders of the market? What happened to the days when all you did was go buy a game and that was it? What about the days where there was no purchased DLC, DRM, etc.? What happened to the days where these companies put out quality games that everyone could enjoy, regardless of financial factors, and didn't try to nickel and dime you to death in order to squeeze as much profit out of you as possible? I want to know, is it possible, when the right minds are brought together, can we bring gamers a product that keeps them, instead of the company, in mind at all times? Can we create a product that cares more about the consumers than profit percentages? Let me know what you think! I want to gather together the best and brightest and try to make this a reality! With so many tools, like kickstarter, indiegogo, etc., out there these days to help indie developers, lets make this happen! Hardware engineers and business minds needed!

Wish you luck on your project, but I don't see DLC nickel & diming when it is completely optional to buy it. Wasn't aware consoles had DRM (besides the earlier xbox one features which are now mostly removed) and mandatory installations are probably needed to ensure frame rates and texture popping are optimized and removed.

While I wish you the best of luck in your project, not sure how well an indie platform will fare if your aim is to compete against hardware that has a name behind it (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft). The Ouya is struggling due to low units sold.

Here is an article of a few developers talking about the OUYA 4 months after launch. The common or similar saying is "Sales are low".

Gamasutra - Developers speak: The Ouya, four months later

Will say that, the developers are very happy with the OUYA team and how they are being treated as well as the consumers, but the sales and numbers are not there.

Hi guys! I just joined the tech forums because I wanted to discuss an idea with you all. I am a console gamer and I have been very frustrated lately with things like DRM, mandatory installations, hard drive only installs, etc. I was really pondering about a new console. Can it be done? Can an indie console created by hardware engineers like you compete against the likes of Microsoft and Sony? I am fed up with the policies and procedures instituted by these companies and the things they let game companies do to us as gamers. Can we gather together enough hardware engineers and business savvy minds to create a console that is more consumer friendly than the current leaders of the market? What happened to the days when all you did was go buy a game and that was it? What about the days where there was no purchased DLC, DRM, etc.? What happened to the days where these companies put out quality games that everyone could enjoy, regardless of financial factors, and didn't try to nickel and dime you to death in order to squeeze as much profit out of you as possible? I want to know, is it possible, when the right minds are brought together, can we bring gamers a product that keeps them, instead of the company, in mind at all times? Can we create a product that cares more about the consumers than profit percentages? Let me know what you think! I want to gather together the best and brightest and try to make this a reality! With so many tools, like kickstarter, indiegogo, etc., out there these days to help indie developers, lets make this happen! Hardware engineers and business minds needed!

Just curious of your age, gaming experience/history and any sort of education you have behind you. Do you have any business experience? Do you understand how corporate america works? Is Tech-Forums your first stop?

Not trying to offend you. I am genuinely curious. You posted a wall of text with saying that you're looking for hardware engineers and savvy business people to make a game console that will be more consumer friendly than the 3 big consoles out there. You act like the gaming industry in the 80s and 90s was so elegant. It wasn't.

Every company and business regardless of size is in for one thing: money. Arcade games were made to squeeze quarters from you. Nintendo would put the squeeze on third-party developers when they tried to get games on their Nintendo console. As a gaming manufacturer if you make a console it doesn't mean its going to help gamers. You have to appeal to the developers who make the games to push your hardware. What do you have to offer developers that make them more money than them releasing their game on XBLA/PSN?

You sound young and naive and have an idea you think is great. Do you have an established business model or a company? Kickstarter and Indiegogo aren't going to be good platforms for crowdsourcing an idea. These people giving you money will need a solid business plan and a thought out proposal. Also a proof of concept.

Ouya is probably the most successful attempt at this and it is failing right now. I'm sure they had a similar idea as you, but they are ultimately controlled by developers and the Android Play Store.

Anyways, good luck with your idea.

Just curious of your age, gaming experience/history and any sort of education you have behind you. Do you have any business experience? Do you understand how corporate america works? Is Tech-Forums your first stop?

Not trying to offend you. I am genuinely curious. You posted a wall of text with saying that you're looking for hardware engineers and savvy business people to make a game console that will be more consumer friendly than the 3 big consoles out there. You act like the gaming industry in the 80s and 90s was so elegant. It wasn't.

Every company and business regardless of size is in for one thing: money. Arcade games were made to squeeze quarters from you. Nintendo would put the squeeze on third-party developers when they tried to get games on their Nintendo console. As a gaming manufacturer if you make a console it doesn't mean its going to help gamers. You have to appeal to the developers who make the games to push your hardware. What do you have to offer developers that make them more money than them releasing their game on XBLA/PSN?

You sound young and naive and have an idea you think is great. Do you have an established business model or a company? Kickstarter and Indiegogo aren't going to be good platforms for crowdsourcing an idea. These people giving you money will need a solid business plan and a thought out proposal. Also a proof of concept.

Ouya is probably the most successful attempt at this and it is failing right now. I'm sure they had a similar idea as you, but they are ultimately controlled by developers and the Android Play Store.

Anyways, good luck with your idea.

This reminds me of the scene from Talladega Nights when Ricky Bobby says "With all due respect" to that guy and then insults him. :confused:

I think you should have worded the question a little differently, because I would find anything hard to help fund and give money to unless i felt very strongly about something....Would I be interested in something like that?....Absolutely, but if it's a cheap, knock-off-like console, than count me out

Poor form to make your first post a solicitation.

That said, I worked with guys who developed parts of the BSD kernel and I don't think they'd take a risk like this, and you will need people with that level of skill to make this happen.

If you have a million or two to throw at this, then yeah, you can do something like Ouya did, but don't expect different results.

Otherwise, it's Sony, MS and Nintendo for the foreseeable future. Very few companies have the marketing, engineering and manufacturing horsepower to do this, especially considering the space. Apple MIGHT be able to do this, but it's worth remembering that the original Xbox took a long time and a lot of money to build market share.

I feel like all I do lately is kick wide-eyed, optimistic puppies.

And don't forget that the vast majority of gaming companies started as doing something else entirely.

Even Nintendo started with card and board games as I remember.

Back
Top Bottom