Creating a Dial up ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Nick

In Runtime
Hi Everybody,
I was wondering if there was a way to create my own Dial up ISP for my personal use Basicly, i want to know 1) if its posible (i would think/hope so:p ) and 2) how i should go about doing it. I have a Cable connection so there shouldn't be any problems w/ bandwidth considering it would only be like 14k/s over the phone lines anyway. Any help is appreciated,

need at minimum one dialup router/dialup Remote access server, as for how to set it up to work...im not the person to ask.

Very interesting topic. Nowadays I bet Windows XP can handle this. This is what I would do. Connect a machine running Windows XP that has a dialup modem to your router or cable modem over the eithernet so it has internet access. Then connect the dialup modem to your phone line. Then setup a new connection in XP, select advanced connection, select accept incoming connections, select your modem as device, do not allow virtual private networking connections, make up a user name or select one on your system, use default settings in the networking software tab. Then try it by using another computers dialup modem and a different phone line other than the on your computer is connected too. Dial the number from the other machine and login and see if you can access the internet. If you can itÂ’s a success! I havenÂ’t tried it myself but it is a step in the right direction I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom