CPU turbo

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi, I changed a setting in the BIOS to boost the cpu speed on my 1090T to 3.6ghz, in pc wizard it says Frequency : 3200 MHz - (current : 3553.28 MHz) so I assume it worked, I have no after market cooler on and a HAF 922 case, will this be an issue? and will the boost show any noticeable improvement?

Hey,

I'm far from an overclocking expert, you'll find much more experienced guys round here.
But from my brief experience providing you haven't changed the voltages, your computer isn't sat next to a radiator or in a very hot room and it isn't run for like 8 hours + at a time you should be ok.

The "noticeable" improvement is always down to each user, I mean if you were doing something like transcoding video that always used to take an hour and now it's regularly taking 50 minutes then I guess you'll notice the difference, for day to day tasks like wbe browsing and stuff I don't think you really will notice the difference.

Well... what are your temps?

You should get a proggy like HWMonitor and check the temps, both idle and extreme load. The max temp for this CPU per AMD is 62C. The consensus on the interwebz is to keep it under 55C. Anything higher and you should get an aftermarket cooler. If the load temp is less than 55C, then your cooler is working just fine.

Hmm, I'll perhaps take the turbo off until I get round to getting them, here are my current temps, the computer isn't really doing a lot at the minute, going to play either Skyrim or Civ 5 in a minute, so I'll take another reading during game play and post it, I have to say since changing from the Silencio 550 to the HAF 922 my temps have been massively improved

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 9
Hey,

I'm far from an overclocking expert, you'll find much more experienced guys round here.
But from my brief experience providing you haven't changed the voltages, your computer isn't sat next to a radiator or in a very hot room and it isn't run for like 8 hours + at a time you should be ok.

The "noticeable" improvement is always down to each user, I mean if you were doing something like transcoding video that always used to take an hour and now it's regularly taking 50 minutes then I guess you'll notice the difference, for day to day tasks like wbe browsing and stuff I don't think you really will notice the difference.

No, I haven't changed any voltages, I wouldn't trust myself with it, my knowledge is no where near good enough, this basically did it all for me. I mainly use my computer for games, but it's also a media center connected to the t.v and surround, so I watch a lot of stuff on, use it for itunes, web browsing, etc.

Here are my temps during the opening on civ 5, it's since come down to 41 while being on the title screen

Attachments

• temps2.jpg
    temps2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 6
Well, you could always run Prime95 to put your CPU through a stress test. This program will also detect issues for you and should expose problems quickly. It's more for testing stability on overclocked systems, but it'll max out your CPU usage and raise the temps for sure. I would have HWMonitor running next to it to watch the temps just in case*. Also, the download links for Prime95 are little trick to find on that page. Under the disclaimer you'll see "download locations", those are the proper links.

EDIT: If your temps still never reach >55C, no need to dump money into an aftermarket cooler, unless you have it to spare I guess.

* Chips will 'cut the power' if a certain temp is reached to prevent damage. Watching temps though, is never a bad idea.

* Chips will 'cut the power' if a certain temp is reached to prevent damage. Watching temps though, is never a bad idea.

Do AMD chips do this? I know Intel do and has done for many many now but I know the old Anthlon days they literally just used to burn themselves out and in some cases literally set fire to themselves.

Back
Top Bottom