jondo

Solid State Member
hey all

i have:

Asus A8V-E mobo
AMD 64 3800+
1 SATA HDD
Radeon x850 xt pe

when my pc is idle the CPU temperature (according to Asus PC Probe which came with mobo) is somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees C, and when i play a game like hl2 after a few minutes the probe program starts beeping at me because the temp has hit 72 (the limit the program set itself to after install)

anybody got any ideas on what i should do?

wow those are insane temps....make sure the HSF is installed correctly and if it still is like that then you might have a faulty sensor. also try checking the temp in the BIOS, most of the new bios's have that feature.....it's more acurate than asus probe too

It sounds like you don't have any thermal paste or a very slow CPU fan in your system.

I'd take the heatsink off the processor, remove any old thermal paste and replace it with some new paste.

If that doesn't help, look into getting a new heatsink/CPU fan.

Did you put some paste on the chip before you installed it? Does your CPU fan appear to be working properly? I would put Artic silver on there and replace the stock h/s and fan with a zalman. Do you have proper air flow in the case?

the heatsink had paste pre-applied, i may have scratched the layer when installing it

what would u suggest to ensure good air flow? at the moment there are cables everywhere...

Ok, for some reason most barebone kits are poorly put together for good airflow. Here's some steps I took that made a huge difference. I used to be running around those same temps until I changed things around:

1. Took off the heatsink/fan that came with my barebones kit and threw it out the window. Bought a new one that fits and works much better.
2. Bought some AS5 and applied it as per the instructions.
3. Cut a hole in the top of my case and installed an 80mm fan to blow out hot air.
4. Bought an 80mm to 120mm adapter to install a 120mm fan for intake.
5. Bought another 80mm to help in the back exhaust. (Remember, exhaust fans should be pushing more air than intake fans)
6. Threw out those crappy flat IDE cables and purchases rounded IDE's.

Now, at full load... my temps are well below 40degrees celcius.

Yeah, I made darn sure I had good airflow. At first, my rear fans were set to intake (as was the front) and the top and side were set to exhaust. I changed the side around and the back ones (had to use my own little mod for the side) and now I see temps like 32 c at idle, while before it was at around 50 c when idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom