CPU temperature help

Blabagas

Baseband Member
Hi guys, I have recenetly tried to play DiRT 3, but have had some problems with my cpu temperature and cooling. Currently I am using an ASRock motherboard and have been using the ASRock eXtreme tuner to manage the cpu temp and fan speed. I have the target temperature set to 62C, and you can only set it to as high as 65C.
When I launch dirt my cpu immediately goes up to about 60C and once I start driving the fans ramp up to full speed. This is a problem because it is very loud. Is there any way I can get around this? I'm not sure what a good cpu temperature is but I think I could go higher than 65C.

Specs -
i3 2120
GTX 660 OC
Win 7

Any help would be appreciated, I dont mind using a different program or whatever. Just ask if you need any more info on my pc.
Thanks.

Sorry but I dont quite follow. I dont see an option for auto, unless I am missing something. These are my current settings in the program. imgur: the simple image sharer
EDIT: I'm guessing this is done within the BIOS, I will have a look around there.

Last edited:
Alright after some testing and playing around I can conclude that the sound I was hearing was actually from the GPU, not the cpu. I just assumed that since the cpu temperature was going higher than I was used to seing it that it was the fan for that. This makes a lot more sense now.

So is there any way to go about reducing the fan speed of my gpu? I know it came overclocked so maybe I could reduce that, should I even be messing with it at all?

Sorry but I dont really know what I'm doing

No, if it's ramping up that means it's getting warm and needs the fan. GPUs operate on a strict temp curve and will only ramp the fan up if the GPU gets above a certain temp and I wouldn't go about messing around with it.

You can also check the fan and heatsink on your GPU to see if it's plugged up with dust & crap. If it is, blow it out with some canned air being careful not to let the fan(s) spin

Do what JoeC recommends then go back in to your fan setting and lower the case fan target temps to below what the CPU is set for. If the case ventilation is not moving the hot air out then it's stagnating in the case. This can lead to thermal saturation of the air in the case. The heat sink for any of your devices such as the CPU and video card will not be able to radiate off heat because the air around the heat sinks is close or equal to the temp of the air in the case.

What case do you have? What mother board? What heat sink is on the CPU?

Last edited:
It popped up on the recent threads display and I didn't read the date of the last post assuming it was on the list for some reason.

Well it didn't hurt as other folks can always use farm fresh info anyway.

I guess this thread is solved??? I have no idea why it popped up in recent threads.
Your right no harm. Didn't want you setting around waiting for reply and thought I'd tell you it was a old thread!! I've done the same thing before. LOL
Gary!

Back
Top Bottom