CPU temp over 90C in idle!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
also what is your power source? if it's too low it can cause these problems. I had a similar problem with an AMD athlon 64 and found out that after upgrading to a bigger power supply (a 520 watt server psu from a friend) that my cooling problems stopped. also noticed that the fan above the cpu when turned by hand was not spinning smoothly and swapped that out with a fan in better condition. just my 2 cents though on this subject.

Most likely the reason your cooling problems went away was the fan. It's highly unlikely that a power supply would have anything to do with overheating.

Yea, it's overheating. So if it's a power supply issue that means it'd be giving it to much...and I highly doubt that would happen.

I'd take the CPU fan off and check the thermal paste job. Obviously make sure you have some handy because if you remove the heatsink you have to re-apply the paste. Put about a rice size spot on it in the middle then put the heatsink on. I personally like to spread mine out with a razor in case the heatsink doesn't spread it evenly..but that's kind of optional.

right, i removed the CPU fan (still trying to figure out how to put it back tho:confused:) and everything seemed kinda as it should, no clogging up of dust, just a few real fine specs. I have some thermal paste somewhere which i will apply this evening when i get home form work, thanks so far for everyones help. Would a stock fan really be that bad that my temps should be that high? Would a new fan solve my problem? Its worth trying anyway.....

Marc

If it's a stock cooler then possibly. If it's installed incorrectly then it could most certainly be the cause of the overheating.

What kind of thermal paste do you have? I would recommend buying some Tunix Tx-2 from Newegg It's only 6 dollars shipping included.
It works much better than the white stock stuff. It's also arguably better than Arctic Silver, and it's non-conductive (unlike Arctic Silver) so, if you screw up you don't have to worry as much.

Also, make sure to THOROUGHLY clean the original paste from the heatsink base and the heatspreader on the processor. I usually use a lint free cloth for really gunky stuff, and scrub it softly with acetone, or isopropyl alcohol. Make sure that even the tiniest remnants are completely removed, because any gap between the Heatsink/CPU will cause a big rise in temps.

Apply a small pea sized dab in the middle, or better yet, check out Slaymate's Method.

Be careful, and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom