CPU question

d_source

Daemon Poster
Hi All,
I have an old mobo and I was just wondering if there are newer CPU's that can help the performance on my machine. Here are the specs:
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=148&l4=0&model=539&modelmenu=2 and I have an Athlon 64 3500+ in there now. It's socket 939. Do they even sell CPU's to fit that type of mobo anymore? I don't want to spend any cash on a new machine so a cheap upgrade would be nice, if possible. Any ideas what would fit here and where i can buy it? Definitely nothing over $100.

Thanks.

Your only going to find 939 CPU's on the second hand market now and for under $100 your not going to get much. I'd try and find a dual core 939 CPU on eBay maybe...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
AMD Dual-Core Opteron 170

Socket 939 is going to be hard to come by these days. You probably won't find any brand new, you'll have to go to ebay like remeniz said and buy a secondhand one.

Go make a thread in the "For sale/trade" section of this forum, maybe someone here has one they'll sell you cheap.

it's actually not that hard to find these days, there are almost 100 on sale on ebay as I am typing this...

if you really want one they are out there...

Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at what ebay has to offer, but by the sounds of it the upgrade probably isn't worth it. Maybe i'll wait a little longer and save a up a few more bucks and just get a newer midrange PC that would be a significant upgrade to what i have now. My PC is about 4yrs old so it is almost about that time anyway.

Saving up for a new PC might be your best bet as the socket 939 chips are commanding a high price these days for a good one.

You can upgrade the video card for around $74 that should improve your gaming performance. Then when you upgrade you could use the card in the new system.

SPARKLE GeForce 9600 GT

Saving up for a new PC might be your best bet as the socket 939 chips are commanding a high price these days for a good one.

You can upgrade the video card for around $74 that should improve your gaming performance. Then when you upgrade you could use the card in the new system.

SPARKLE GeForce 9600 GT

Ya thats exactly what i was thinking of doing right now would be to get an upgrade in video card, and then later on upgrading to a newer PC while reusing some of my older parts...new video card, PSU. i was looking at this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4128445&CatId=3670 especially b/c the TG store is down the street from me so i can also save on shipping. But i'm headed to China in a couple weeks so i may just wait and try to find something cheaper over there.

Back
Top Bottom