CPU Question

siervocaln

Beta member
Hey everybody,
I'm new to this forum and I joined because I have one question. I love to mess with computers but I'm more into the software side than on the hardware side. I have a computer with a ECS M825G Motherboard and an Athlon Mobile 1.66 ghz processor, but I want to change it for a Intel D945GNTLIntel D945GNTL Mboard with Pentium 4 - 3.6 GHz / 2MB Cache - HT Technology (Model 660). My question is: can I just change it like that -- take the old motherboard out, put the new one in and hook it up with all the devices-- or is there a twenty-hour job to be done for this? Please explain since I really don't know what I'm talking about. :D any help appreciated.

Yes, it's a swap you are performing. Just make sure your system memory supports the Intel motherboard. Then you may need to reformt your hard drive.

Ok, you're going to be going from AMD-->Intel. So the software on your PC is gonna be confused because it's going to have the old chipset drivers of the old motherboard.

Often times you can just reformat the hard drive and it'll work fine, or do XP repair and itll just change the drivers for you. Either way, do a backup.

So it's not a 20hr job, but it also involves more than just sticking in the new mobo

Thanks for the quick answers, in that case I would rather use a Asus P5VDC-MX motherboard which does take ddr-400 (the memory I'm currently using). Would it make difference if instead of using the processor I mentioned before, I use a Pentium D - 3.4 GHz / (2x) 2MB Cache - Dual Core? I'm trying to get one of the best processors.

I think you will always see a difference if you switched to dual core. If you mutlitask a lot and have tons of programs and windows running in the background like me, then dual core is a nice CPU to have.

Grab yourself a Pentium D 805/820, which are excellent deals, and that motherboard, and you'll be sorted. Just make sure your PSU has the required connectors (a 20-pin ATX and a 4-pin ATX power connector), and that your memory is compatible, and away you go. You'll have to reinstall Windows though.

Back
Top Bottom