Cpu overheating?

Computernewb1

Solid State Member
I don't think its over heating to a dangerous level I just think its bad seeing it at stock 2.4ghz and its high. (q6600 sorry). During the day its really hot in my room in summer, other wise its pretty cool especially at night. But right now at idle its running at 42c and the cores run 13c hotter. I've seen the cpu get to 57 and cores to 70. At night the cpu is at 30 and cores at 40. Could I lower the voltage? It's on auto at 1.326. Should I get a new cpu cooler?

If it's that temperature at night then chances are it's just hot because of the weather - 70 is verging on the high-ish side in my books, but it's not something I'd personally worry about at all.

I personally wouldn't do anything, but if you're desperate to get the temps down then an aftermarket cooler would be your best bet - lowering the voltage may well cause far more problems in stability than it solves in temperature!

Well what do you pay attention to the temp of cores or the temp of processor? Plus I'm planning to get a new case with better airflow (antec 1200 fulltower).

try adding some extra fans and make sure all cables are neatly tied and not blocking air flow. Maybe leaving the side case open would help with ventillation for now. Also make sure your CPU fan is working correctly. Just dont leave things too cramped inside the tower.

First off, what are you reading the temps with? I would suggest RealTemp is the best option

Secondly, what is the VID of the chip? If you're running at stock clocks then set the VCore to the VID in the bios, auto is notorious for overvolting.

As the others have suggested, check your case for restricted airflow.

How many fans does your case have and what is their orientation? Front and side as intake, rear and top as exhaust? or a variation on that theme?

0.85V – 1.5V is the vid range and its running closer to the upper side of range and temps in realtemp are 46 43 42 44 at 0-2% load. This is in morning and cool in the room. As for fans 1 intake at front 1 exhaust at back and 1 side intake. The front and back fans are 3000 rpm ultra kaze's and side intake is wrather small 80 mm at 1.9k rpm or so. Checking around I find most quads run 1.2 vcore is there a way to truly check myn? Core temp says 1.325. Airflow on a ultrakaze 3000 is 133.60 CFM. Just got red speckles and green on screen and then it went away when i closed realtemp.

Back
Top Bottom